engine front mountings

Hi there,

after 12 years of ownership I thought it could be time for new engine mountings.

The old ones looked a bit "twisted sidewards" from above and I wanted to put shims out to lower the engine (to fit my MX-5 gearbox).

The 2 x 2 washers on the photo always have been there, the slothed 3 mm washers I added there.

a9pGiP1Z2nub3ZOSzvoxv6G5t5XQbKy55Igd46_3

I knew they are not easy to fit but today I realised: what a @§$"&%!!@ construction!

The engine is lifted vertical up and down and the mountings are angled 45°, 20 mm bolts welded on both sides, 65 mm long, no slothed drillings!

Perhaps I only don't see the benefit, perhaps somebody can explain? On the gearbox end it works with a 100% horizontal mounting?

Fitting the new mountings (bolts cut shorter to 15 mm) without washers I realised what they are for:

not to adjust the engine but to get the drilling in the frame and in the engine plate in line!

VDSGJrIW47VRD7a4xaaKP8JePlRlaSrubZJ3V3-N

And eaven with my 3 mm washers the engine has been to low / the drillings not in line.

NO CHANGE TO LOWER THE ENGINE, the mountings need an offset of the bolts.

So I made 2 wooden logs as solid as the new mountings (35 mm), fitted them and signed the drilling from the frame and engine plate....

7 mm offset was the result.

s4OuKTrNQazMgKoRXdRvn64LlAjVTINyX2k4B2MX

I need 7 mm washers to get the drilling in line, this will lift the engine 7 x 1,414 = 10 mm!!!!!

What a construction......

What I did: I cut off the upper bolts, drilled and taped it 5/16" with 7 mm offset and now two short bolt are fitted from above.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

As it happens, I adjusted my round (Land Rover) mounts over the weekend. They looked as though there was a bit of lateral load on them, so I lifted the engine and inserted a thick washer either side (as you can see on Jase's photo), they now sit squarer and the loading looks neater. I think the thick washers are the same as the Diff mounting washers?

Rgds

David

If you want a spacer and have some old mountings, cut off the rubber, it it hasn't already debonded, cut off and drill out the stud, and you have a perfect spacer. I have a feeling the diff mount washers are slightly smaller in diameter

cheers Rich 

• 3 months later...

Hi all, just to let you know,

with the new squared engine mounts the engine and bonnet

sometimes suffers from shaking on special revs on tickover.

And also (and always) when I switch the engine off.

What I realized when I had the old ronud and new squared mounts in my hand is,

the squared are much more stiff, the rund ones more elastic.

I guess this is the reason. Any advice where / what to buy, please?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Hi Marco,

I use LandRover   round mounts on my 4A   from these people  www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk

Part # NRC2054

The studs are M8

They have been insitu for a number of years now and surviving well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Thank you both,

does anybody know how much Shore they have?

I think about to buy a pair of this vibration absorbers.

I can choose the Shore from 45° (soft, not all sizes), 55° (medium) and 75°....

All I can find about VW is some engine mounts 55°, mainly 65°, some 75-85° - this seams to be stiff.

Also diameter (50 or 60 mm should fit), also height (30 mm should fit).

Threads M10 from both sides makes them easy to fit!

?

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I too have the landrover mounts and theyre fine though I couldnt tell you what shore they are.

Stuart.

• 2 months later...

Hello all

Just for info I found one of the original round engine mounts that was on the car 32 years ago when it arrived back in UK from USA. The overall length 76mm is the same and the diameter 58mm is the same. However the depth of the rubber part is 38mm as opposed to 33mm on a brand new one I bought not long ago. So the question is, are the new engine mountings slightly thinner? I did look at whether I could fit Ford Cortina/Granada/Capri MK1-5 instead since they are 38mm deep but they are much bigger diameter (78mm) so not sure they would fit easily. The square ones are 36mm deep and 80mm total length including the studs so I guess these would be more of a problem to fit.

Does anyone have the dimensions of the Landrover round mounts for comparison? Also does having less rubber matter (apart from affecting engine height).

The extra bit of depth to the rubber part is of benefit to raise front of engine a bit more so I could maybe fit the wider fan belt without having to jack up the engine.

Keith

Thanks Rich

It looks as if my car might have had Landrover engine mounts 32 years ago. Not sure what is on at the moment until I take them off.

In reply to Marco, the stiffness of these mounts is 70 shore.

https://www.revingtontr.com/product/143057u/name/engine-mount-sq-70-shore-tr4-4a-nla

Keith

On 7/25/2021 at 12:39 PM, Z320 said:

Thank you both,

does anybody know how much Shore they have?

I think about to buy a pair of this vibration absorbers.

I can choose the Shore from 45° (soft, not all sizes), 55° (medium) and 75°....

All I can find about VW is some engine mounts 55°, mainly 65°, some 75-85° - this seams to be stiff.

Also diameter (50 or 60 mm should fit), also height (30 mm should fit).

Threads M10 from both sides makes them easy to fit!

?

Ciao, Marco

Hi Keith,

thank you for this information,

my impression was the old round ones have been softer than the new squared ones.

Any with the squared ones the engine is more noisy inside the car. But it can also be my gearbox touching the bulkhead.

I think the whole setup needs a modifokation (sooner or later).

Ciao, Marco

23 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Keith - I've just measured the ones I have and they are 78mm in diameter and 38mm in depth - see photos

cheers Rich

I think yours might be the Ford engine mounts I found on the internet since they have a bigger diameter. The TR ones are 58mm diameter. Looking at Jase's photo then you should be able to get them to fit but the extra diameter will mean they protrude both on the engine side and on the chassis side. Whether they last any longer being more substantial remains to be seen.

Keith