Odd Spark plug problem.

Hi Folks,

I got the BlueRacer out from it's winter slumber this morning 

It is always fun getting it started for the first time in 6 months. This morning was a little better.

I removed the plugs and spun the engine over to get the oil moving. Add a squirt of 'Start ya Bas...d and it start on the button.  The battery did well.

However there was a misfire on #3 plug.  I found that if I removed the plug lead and held it about 6mm away the plug fired up.

So I then opened the plug gap from 0.025" to 0.040" and it runs a treat (Champion L87 plugs)

The NGK straight plug caps are about 5 years old but have done very few miles.  I will get new caps on Monday.

Any other ideas out there for me to consider.

Roger

Hi Roger,

It may be a petrol issue??

Maybe the std gap (0,025”) did not give enough spark, the larger gap did? Anyway seems your ign. system is good.

Cheers,
Waldi

Very odd. It might be indicative of some sort of tracking on the plug or connector. Opening the gap might be a red herring - perhaps you cured the actual problem unknowingly when taking the plug out. 

Hi Rob,

all things are possible. I had the cap on and off a number of times and it was nly when the gap was increased was there a 'permanent' fix.

I shall buy new caps next week and see if that does the trick.

roger