Windscreen Wiper Motor

I have started the relacement of the headlight panel and, whilst I was at it, I thought that I'd check out the windscreen motor. I'd found that the wipers are either very slow or just slow, depending on the position of the wiper stalk; also the 'parking' position is such that it is in my line of sight. Before starting I have checked out the WM and found that two forms of lubricant are needed, namely RLG Ragostine Listate Grease and ST41O Shell Turbo 41 Oil. I can't seem to find these either online or locally, can any more experienced owners suggest alternatives?

I’d look at the cause of slow running.  At least it runs!

Disconnect the motor from the rack and try to operate the rack in and out by hand.  

the motor could just be in need of a new set of carbon brushes or lubrication of the gearbox.

the wheel boxes could need lubricating

the rack could need lubricating

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I shall be doing just that. I had considered that the brushes might need replacing and, whilst I was at it, lubricating the wheel box / gear box; my problem is obtaining the equivalent of the grease / lubricant specified in the workshop manual.

On 4/17/2021 at 5:07 PM, Emrys Parry said:

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I shall be doing just that. I had considered that the brushes might need replacing and, whilst I was at it, lubricating the wheel box / gear box; my problem is obtaining the equivalent of the grease / lubricant specified in the workshop manual.

The grease we have available today would be a lithium base multipurpose type like the old favourite Castrol LM.  

The oil for the bearings can be substituted by something like Philips 66 multipurpose  
Comparisons  https://petroleumservicecompany.com/shell-turbo-41-cross-reference/

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/content/pdfs/PHILLIPS_66_MULTIPURPOSE_R-O_OIL_PDS.pdf

I'd use a drop of SU carb dash pot oil to lubricate the plain oilite type bearings in the motor casing.    If they look really dry you could always leave the bearings soaking for 48 hours or longer.   The only devil with that is wiping any excess out so it does not contaminate the armature and commutator or brushes.

The wiper wheel box rack will need a smear of grease too.  A waterproof or graphite type could be used.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 3 weeks later...

In addition to the previous posts, Cleaning up the connector blocks that feed the power from switch to motor and finally the earth connection can sometimes bring it back from the dead.   (Or from barely usable to passable after cleaning 40 years of grime and corrosion)