TR6 Indicators not self canceling - cam collar position adjustment

Good morning,

This I believe may be a common problem which may have been discussed previously so apologies if I'm covering old ground. My TR6 indicators are not self canceling the reason being that the collar cam on the inner steering column is positioned at 6o'clock rather than 3o'clock. I need to re-align the upper inner column on the splines as the collar cam can only be fitted n one location via two recesses depressions. I believe I am correct so far!

I believe I can separate the column via the flex joint at the bulkhead (fire wall) by undoing the pinch bolt and rotating the shaft. I believe I will also need to cut and replace the lock-wire if the column is seized at the pinch bolt. Again happy to be corrected if this is wrong.

What else do I need to loosen and/or remove to allow me to complete re-alignment of the inner column and to re-instate the self-cancelling operation of my indicators? Should someone have the time to share a step by step process to help me I would be hugely grateful. I have attached some pictures which show how far I've got which should hopefully be helpful. You will also see that the indicator stalk is broken but I plan to effect a repair using an aluminium tubular rivet. I suspect this failed as a result of the collar cam being in the wrong position.

Thanks for reading this post and as always every reply is much appreciated.

Best Regards, Peter

B7F96BD4-65FC-4599-9FAD-1900220F038A.heic 08FB10B9-46E7-461C-8E63-C965A5D9D6FE.heic E11D8050-A208-4D37-B3D0-DC6C1ED032ED.heic

Peter,

I was unable to download your images but that’s probably my finger trouble with media devices. In any case it sounds like you simply need to rotate the entire steering column through 90deg and then reattach the steering wheel. The best place to do this is where the column attaches to the steering rack. I wouldn’t suggest disturbing the flexible coupling assembly other than the pinch bolt. 

Assuming it’s a PI car, remove the intake plenum assembly, the flexible trunking and the air filter housing. This will give you decent access to the column assembly. Remove all three  pinch bolts. Put the steering wheel back on temporarily and get someone to hold it firmly forwards. There will be enough combined sliding clearance in both the joints (just), to tap the joint at the rack and the flexible coupling, rearwards along the shafts sufficiently for the lower one to drop off the pinion shaft of the rack. It will probably all be tight so you’ll need to progressively tap each joint rearwards to gradually move the whole column assembly towards the bulkhead. You can get extra rearwards motion by slackening the locking collar right at the bulkhead but it shouldn’t be necessary. 

Remove the steering wheel. Make sure the wheels are straight ahead (!), rotate the top end of the column to the desired position then re-engage the lower joint onto the pinion spline at the steering rack by gently tapping everything forwards. When you refit the pinch bolts, you won’t get them back in unless the splined portion of the columns are approximately back in the same fore and aft position. There are annular rings machined in the rack pinion shaft and the end of the upper column. It’s important that the pinch bolts pass through these for obvious reasons. Once the steering wheel is back on if a test drive shows it’s slightly askew, then one spline either way at the top end inside the car to get the wheel straight will make little difference to the indicator cancelling action. Any more than that and it’s better to make the adjustments at the track rod ends but you shouldn’t need to. 

Hope this helps. 

Mike H. 

Edited by Mike Herlihy

Hello Mike,

Many thanks for your detailed reply which was hugely helpful.

I'm pleased to confirm that I have now re-aligned the steering column through 90deg by removing at the connection to the steering rack. It took me a while to realise but all other connections can only go 'one way' determined by the position of the pinch-bolts. The splined shaft of the steering rack of course has a machined section the circumference of the shaft diameter.

I was also able to repair the original indicator stalk which now appears to be working well and self-cancelling again.

Best Regards, Peter