Really basic question but could somebody tell me whether flicking the overdrive stalk up on a TR5/6 should engage or release the overdrive.

Many thanks

Tim

Hi Tim,

if you mean puling it down (and it remains there) then that would engage OD (usually)

You would then need to move the stalk up to disengage.

However if you  have a Logic Box then a flicj=k down would engage it and another flick down would disengage it (as well as changing gear etc)

Roger

However if you  have a Logic Box then a flicj=k down would engage it and another flick down would disengage it (as well as changing gear etc)

Reading this suggests that the original switch would keep on moving down so after say 60 operations the end of the lever would be on the opposite side of the steering wheel?

Regards

Bill 

41 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tim,

if you mean puling it down (and it remains there) then that would engage OD (usually)

You would then need to move the stalk up to disengage.

Roger

Fully understand that Roger and that is how mine currently operates and happy with that.

But ..... why does the handbook state the opposite?

Thanks

Tim

22 minutes ago, Bill944T said:

Reading this suggests that the original switch would keep on moving down so after say 60 operations the end of the lever would be on the opposite side of the steering wheel?

Regards

Bill 

It is spring loaded up.

:lol::lol:

Roger

Does this mean Roger that the original switch is redundant as only up or down, not retractive, and another switch replaces it, or left in situ and a retractive switch put somewhere else?

Puzzled Bill 

Roger. Same function but we're using different names to describe a switch that is in effect a bell push and only makes contact when pressed and held there for a time long enough to create a change of state, be it audible or to trigger a relay to toggle between functions. Well that's my understanding! 

A retractive switch is a switch that returns to its original state after being pressed – unlike a common toggle or rocker switch, which maintains its pressed position.

A momentary switch is a switch usually in the form of a push button that is only engaged while it is being depressed, as opposed to a typical “on/off” switch, which latches in its set position. 

Hence my original question, does the smart/logic device have a dedicated additional switch that is briefly pressed to change function, ie engage or disengage that is a dedicated switch and not the original "stays where its put" switch which becomes redundant?

Regards

Bill 

Bill, the topic question is about standard od switch operation not how logic switches work.

Tim

Hi Bill,

I understand now.  You were using terms that I had not come across.

The Revington style Logic box use a momentary toggle style switch. It has a stalk (apprx 4" long) that operates just like any toggle switch but returns to its starting position nce it has done its job.

The original switch is removed

Some home made logic boxes use the original toggle switch.

My box uses a press button that operates as ON and OFF - its state is changed inside the box.

With the OD off the press button is waiting to press ON.

With the OD engaged the switch sense has be fliped over and is now waiting to turn the OD OFF.

Roger

Bill, the topic question is about standard od switch operation not how logic switches work.

Which was answered by Roger.

You don't have to read any subsequent thread drift Tim or single me out for going off piste!

Regards

Bill 

Tim,  my TR4A overdrive switch is original and is moved down to engage overdrive and up to disengage. Page 8 of both my owners handbook and the TR6 handbook state that the switch should be moved "up to engage overdrive and down to release it". It is strange that the error in the handbook was never corrected.

Tim

Many thanks Tim. Good enough for me, will now leave the topic alone.

Cheers,

Tim