Starting problem

Hi All 

Need help again, not been my week. The car was fine yesterday however when I came to start it today there was nothing at all from the starter button. The car will start fine using the button on the solenoid, theres power on the starter button and power right through to the solenoid. Is it possible for the solenoid to be faulty where it will work from the solenoid button but not the starter button 

Thanks Charlie 

5 minutes ago, Opv said:

Is it possible for the solenoid to be faulty where it will work from the solenoid button but not the starter button 

Yes the solenoid coil can fail to operate but moving the armature manually with the button will 'make' the contact. Before you do anything else check that the metal body of the solenoid is properly earthed. It needs that to complete the circuit for the coil. If you have an ohmmeter you could check for a circuit from the small terminal on the solenoid to earth. 

14 hours ago, Opv said:

there was nothing at all from the starter button. The car will start fine using the button on the solenoid,

Check wiring connections. When I had this happen a couple of years ago, one of the cables to the starter button had worked loose. Tightened up and all fine.

Miles

Edited by MilesA

Hi All 

Thanks for all your help the problem is now sorted, it turned out to be a bad earth. The car was fine the day before and I held the solenoid to see how tight it was and it seemed ok but I just tweaked the screws holding it and low and behold it was fine lol. Again thanks 

Charlie