Advice on Head Re-Work

Hi guy

Peter Burgess has redone my cyl head from my US 74.  Below is what he did, but a few of them, I am not so sure what it is exactly.   I am not ever doubting Peters work but he is so busy and this is just my ignorance and curiosity at work here.    Its the ones with the ?? on the end I am a bit unsure of, can someone explain this please?

Head stripped,

acid dipped then hot washed,

gritblasted,

inlet and exhaust ports ported,  

bronze guides fitted and ex seat inserts,

seats cut at three angle, ??

combustion chambers and valve throats modified.  ??

Valves modified.  ??

Head skimmed.

Hot washed, painted then assembled with new valves and springs.

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Perhaps this might give a little more detail Richard?

Regards

Bill 

On arrival at our unit, cylinder heads are stripped for initial inspection. Next, they are chemically cleaned; caustic for cast iron, and acid for aluminium. The heads are then hot washed and gritblasted.
If the head is a standard leadfree conversion, new guides are fitted prior to fitting the exhaust seat inserts and cutting the valve seats.
If the head is to be performance modified, the next step is to reshape the ports using die grinders- and a lot of skill and experience! When we are happy with the modifications, guides and exhaust seat inserts are fitted and the seats are cut, after which the combustion chambers and valve throats are modified. The final machining process is to skim the cylinder head face to ensure it is flat.
The heads are then hot washed, assembled and painted (if required).
Our cylinder heads are 'fully-prepared'; no assembling, lapping of valves or fettling is required, they are ready to fit.

Richard,

Further detail on your questioned area.

Seats cut at three angle, ??.....,

= The valve seats are cut using 3 angles changing their shape more towards a “funnel” when viewed in section. This allows a free flowing air and fuel mix to enter the chamber = more power

combustion chambers and valve throats modified.  ??........

= The combustion chambers which the valves are set in vary from the factory, the chambers will be cut ( sometimes larger) and equalised so each cylinder contributes the same volume and power to the car. The valve throats ( the area immediately behind the cut valve seats in the head ) will be “flowed” and protrudences removed so the combustion mix flows through the max amount between  Valve and cylinder head seat.

Valves modified.  ??

= The valves seating area will be changed and the angles made complimentary to the valve seat in the head, increasing flow. The valve profile behind the valve seat may also be changed to increase the flow of air fuel into the chamber = more power.

That’s a simple explanation of an area which affects the engines output greatly. If you ask Peter he will explain in greater detail.

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Perhaps this might give a little more detail Richard?

Regards

Bill 

On arrival at our unit, cylinder heads are stripped for initial inspection. Next, they are chemically cleaned; caustic for cast iron, and acid for aluminium. The heads are then hot washed and gritblasted.
If the head is a standard leadfree conversion, new guides are fitted prior to fitting the exhaust seat inserts and cutting the valve seats.
If the head is to be performance modified, the next step is to reshape the ports using die grinders- and a lot of skill and experience! When we are happy with the modifications, guides and exhaust seat inserts are fitted and the seats are cut, after which the combustion chambers and valve throats are modified. The final machining process is to skim the cylinder head face to ensure it is flat.
The heads are then hot washed, assembled and painted (if required).
Our cylinder heads are 'fully-prepared'; no assembling, lapping of valves or fettling is required, they are ready to fit.

thanks Bill . . feel a bit silly now!

Richard

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Richard,

Further detail on your questioned area.

Seats cut at three angle, ??.....,

= The valve seats are cut using 3 angles changing their shape more towards a “funnel” when viewed in section. This allows a free flowing air and fuel mix to enter the chamber = more power

combustion chambers and valve throats modified.  ??........

= The combustion chambers which the valves are set in vary from the factory, the chambers will be cut ( sometimes larger) and equalised so each cylinder contributes the same volume and power to the car. The valve throats ( the area immediately behind the cut valve seats in the head ) will be “flowed” and protrudences removed so the combustion mix flows through the max amount between  Valve and cylinder head seat.

Valves modified.  ??

= The valves seating area will be changed and the angles made complimentary to the valve seat in the head, increasing flow. The valve profile behind the valve seat may also be changed to increase the flow of air fuel into the chamber = more power.

That’s a simple explanation of an area which affects the engines output greatly. If you ask Peter he will explain in greater detail.

Mick Richards

Thanks so much, Peter is on overtime presently and hardly has time to get to the phone so did not want to burden him more as I am just so pleased he got my work done!

Richard

40 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Thanks so much, Peter is on overtime presently and hardly has time to get to the phone so did not want to burden him more as I am just so pleased he got my work done!

Richard

Peter managed to give me a 36% bhp increase on my GT6 this morning in a rolling road session, I have one of his heads on my TR6 too, he does good work.

21 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi guy

Peter Burgess has redone my cyl head from my US 74.  Below is what he did, but a few of them, I am not so sure what it is exactly.   I am not ever doubting Peters work but he is so busy and this is just my ignorance and curiosity at work here.    Its the ones with the ?? on the end I am a bit unsure of, can someone explain this please?

Head stripped,

acid dipped then hot washed,

gritblasted,

inlet and exhaust ports ported,  

bronze guides fitted and ex seat inserts,

seats cut at three angle, ??

combustion chambers and valve throats modified.  ??

Valves modified.  ??

Head skimmed.

Hot washed, painted then assembled with new valves and springs.

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Hi Richard!

It looks to me that he has done the business to me after comparing your points with the BL Triumph Competition Preparation Manual as per R.W. Kastner. The only point missed is a raise in compression to 10 : 1?

Bruce.

Richard