Sad News - Kas Kastner has died

He was the man that blazed the trail and Triumphs success in competition was promoted by himself. I never met him but conversed a couple of times and received his very direct views, RIP Kas.

Mick Richards

I hoped to meet him last year but Corona made it impossible to race in USA.

Sad.

In year 2011 we had Kas at the Nurburgring and it was a great joy.

Rest in peace, Kas.  Very sad news.

Just this afternoon I was telling someone about him and my favorite quote, "Never be beaten by equipment."

A great, great man who will be sorely missed .RIP

Only met him once when we took 8 cars over to Mid Ohio in 2002 to race in the 50th Anniversary TR race.

Kas was there with his wife Peggy and made all the presentations over the weekend.

The following year the Kastner cup was introduced and is awarded annually at the major Triumph race meeting in the USA and Canada. This year's event is at Portland International Raceway on July 23-25th.

The only British winner, so far, was Keith Files who won in 2010 in his TR4 when the race was held at Topeka Raceway.

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeHughes said:

Only met him once when we took 8 cars over to Mid Ohio in 2002 to race in the 50th Anniversary TR race.

Mike

Same here - got to exchange a precious few words with him and was pleased to find in him another Weber aficionado ( " They're a snooze " he said, putting his hands together beside his head like a pillow ). I think Webers won the day in that race, Mike ^_^.

He published some books on TR performance upgrades; I have 2 but there may be more.

The loss in the last decade or so of TRIUMPH greats known to me now numbers more than I can count on one hand :(

Tom

Sad day indeed but what a life!! well worth celebrating 

I will think of him as I take to the track on Sunday 

Very sad day

His competition manuals were the bible in the day and His subsequent books (all available as downloads) make for stimulating reading.

He generated and drove the flag for racing Triumphs over the years and we owe him and his memory

RIP

Michael

When Kas came to Germany, he opened his luggage and handed over two Weber 48 racing carbs with all you need to install.

"He said - a gift because you invited us (wife) and these big carbs will get you in front of everyone"

Shortly after that race event the 48 Webers were installed and tuned in and I do run them since then.

Generous man!

Edited by MadMarx

I planned to take my car to the Kastner Cup last year.   He was too ill to attend, and Covid stopped me.

Because my car is dark, British Racing Green, and I have the original dark veneer wood dash, I fixed a plateto the dash for him to inscribe hs "Good to race".   It will never have his approval now.

John

IMG_20210412_183119.jpg

Edited by john.r.davies

Then we would have met as I had also the plan 2020 to go racing at the Kastner Cup....and the same, Covid stopped it, flights were cancelled.

A US friend pointed me to the Wiki page about Kas.

That he has such a page shows the esteem he had, and contains more details of his professional and personal life than I ever knew.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kas_Kastner#Triumph

Marx, I don't expect to even try again in 2021, but maybe 2022?  See you there!

There was a plan in 2021 to race at Mosport / Canada as my ride don't want to tow the car from Toronto to Kastner Cup at Portland.

But this plan was stopped 3 month ago.

Maybe 2022 is a way to go.

Instead, the comming weekend I race at Hockenheim to shake some stain off and then at Spa Summer Classic with both cars, the TR4 and the IMSA TR8.

• 5 months later...

I first met Kas in 2004, both he and Peggy became true friends and I am devastated to lose 2 close friends in such a short time. I am consoled knowing that they are both together again as it would be. I miss both Kas and Peggy, may they rest in peace.