Roof mounted spotlight

My hardtop has the hole for a spotlight and I've dug out a light that fits and looks about right. Given the original Lucas RMS 576s are impossible to find/very expensive I'm going to have a go at making a handle to make it swivel. Does anyone have one in pieces or drawings of one I can use to try and make up a replica? 

Thanks,

Tom

DSC_2642.JPG

Thanks David, yes that's helpful. There are a few photos online but not loads. I've discovered that old fashioned camera flash gun handles might be a good option to cannibalise parts from. As are toy light-sabers!

John, I often run the car with aero-screens so I take the wipers off when I do.

Iain Paul's car, which was Ken Richardson's personal transport for a while, has one of these lamps fitted.

Has always struck me as rather dangerous to have that handle dangling down there, even more so in period as seat belts were not fitted back then.

Ian Cornish

33 minutes ago, ianc said:

Iain Paul's car, which was Ken Richardson's personal transport for a while, has one of these lamps fitted.

Has always struck me as rather dangerous to have that handle dangling down there, even more so in period as seat belts were not fitted back then.

Ian Cornish

VHP had the light fitted from new and I can confirm its easy to brain yourself if not careful! Hence they were always foam wrapped, even in period (along with the handbrake leaver and sidescreen sockets.)

They are pretty complex in terms of engineering, hence the price I suppose.

If I get time i'll see if I can take some useful pictures for you Tom

Iain

Curious to know what is the range of motion for that light ?. Does it just rotate or can you also tilt it ?. I imagine the wiring will limit the degree to which it can rotate so are there built-in stops to prevent over rotation ?. I also see in Stuarts picture there is a button, does that have to stay depressed for the light to operate or is it a switch ?

Stan

Hi Stan

they rotate and tilt, the wiring has a carrier that allows considerable rotation without damage, it can act as a reversing light. The button is a switch.

I'll try and do some photos.

Iain

Of course, just like the spot/fog lamps fitted on the boot of the Works' TR4 Rally cars (and many others at the time), they are illegal when used as a reversing light because of the wattage of the bulb - usually 25W.

However, jolly useful when reversing - just have to be careful when using them!

Ian Cornish

13 hours ago, Davidm793 said:

Couple of pics of the one fitted to my hardtop. Hope they help too

E549A528-37B8-48A1-BDD7-D8F4D22F0734.jpeg

48E9607C-A43E-4F52-9C0C-59E339C19F5B.jpeg

Not sure thats an original one with that type of fixing and that handle.

Stuart.

You might have dificulty justifying this today, even under 12/2/e

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Movement of lamps and reflectors

12.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle to which, or to any load or equipment of which, there is fitted a lamp, reflector or marking which is capable of being moved by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion.   [My underline]

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a headlamp which can be dipped only by the movement of the headlamp or its reflector;

(b)a headlamp which is capable of adjustment so as to compensate for the effect of the load carried by the vehicle;

(c)a lamp or reflector which can be deflected to the side by the movement of, although not necessarily through the same angle as, the front wheel or wheels of the vehicle when turned for the purpose of steering the vehicle;

(d)a headlamp or front fog lamp which can be wholly or partially retracted or concealed;

(e)a direction indicator fitted to a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986;

(f)a work lamp;

(g)a warning beacon;

Quite right John but surely these roof mounted spotlights are just for show on an actual historic rally car or recreation and not intended for illegal use on the road. Use of such a light is prohibited, not its fitment.

Tim

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Not sure thats an original one with that type of fixing and that handle.

+1

Original ones had the tubular handle with a removable base so a spare bulb could be kept there.

My first car (Herald 1200) had one fitted.

Charlie.

There are people who preserve and restore old police cars, and delight in their carrying 'jam sandwich' or other livery, blue lights, gongs and the full panoply of constabulary equipment, even down to police uniforms.     But their "POLICE" signs must be covered, let alone illuminated on the road, and I bekive they may not drive wearing a police uniform cap.

It may be useful to consult the local traffic unit for an opinion on how to drive your restored rally car and not be at risk of a hostile encounter with Plod.

4 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

You might have dificulty justifying this today, even under 12/2/e

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

Movement of lamps and reflectors

12.—(1) Save as provided in paragraph (2), no person shall use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road any vehicle to which, or to any load or equipment of which, there is fitted a lamp, reflector or marking which is capable of being moved by swivelling, deflecting or otherwise while the vehicle is in motion.   [My underline]

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply in respect of–

(a)a headlamp which can be dipped only by the movement of the headlamp or its reflector;

(b)a headlamp which is capable of adjustment so as to compensate for the effect of the load carried by the vehicle;

(c)a lamp or reflector which can be deflected to the side by the movement of, although not necessarily through the same angle as, the front wheel or wheels of the vehicle when turned for the purpose of steering the vehicle;

(d)a headlamp or front fog lamp which can be wholly or partially retracted or concealed;

(e)a direction indicator fitted to a motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986;

(f)a work lamp;

(g)a warning beacon;

i'd call it a 12(2)f work lamp

Your "work" being what, Sir?

My race car is road legal and I drive it on the highway.   But when it's got racing numbers, lots of stickers, all the gear (and some idea!) It is just bit like a flag that says "Coppers, look at this!".      So I drive rather carefully.

Only been stopped once, and the Officer then said " I had one of those? Do you really race it???"

Edited by john.r.davies
3 hours ago, ianc said:

A pretty substantial and unforgiving piece of hardware - I wouldn't want to bring my head into contact with that!

Ian Cornish

The real reason the navigator wears protective headgear. With the lamp handle and grab handle the cockpit is a dangerous place.

Stan

Thanks for all the comments and photos. I am aware of the possible illegality and safety issues. I've only every driven the car with a hardtop on for about 20 miles so its not really an issue. I'm just interested in the mechanics of the thing as I think its a nice period accessory and quite fancy having a go at making one.