Tr3a tick over

Hi All 

I have an issue with the tick over on my tr3, its a little fast, on inspection both tick over adjusting screws are  backed right off, I also found if I place my foot under the throttle pedal I can lift the pedal up about 60mm and if I put a little pressure on it the revs drop slightly is this normal. 

Any info would be greatly appreciated 

Thanks Charlie 

Have you also backed off the fast-idle screw on the choke cam ?   It's only supposed to touch the cam when you have the choke partially out.

Sounds as though you have some wear in the throttle linkage too - I don't think the pedal should move up that much.

Edited by RobH

I also had trouble in this area. The throttle pedal rod passes through a bush and out of the foot well into the engine bay. It is held by a square plate each side and 4 small screws which are very hard to reach, especially as mine were fitted from the engine side.

I was lucky to know a clever workshop, now disappeared , who managed to fit mine in 1/2 hour. It made a big difference to final tick over adjustment  by stabilizing the connections and the operating rods.

Good luck with fitting it,  if it was like mine.

Richard & B

I've had similar and still have it a little now. I've never looked at the bush that Richard has mentioned (but with the engine out it might be a good time to look at it). In my case doing a little of everything made it a lot, lot better. The butterfly valves springs really helped. But also check you have spring 15 in place. Mine didn't originally.

Neil  

image.png.0ed7b6a75aac7c1d9d10ceefe435a2ea.png

Edited by NCS_TR3A

Charlie, 

That spring is inside the engine bay and attaches to the bulkhead pulling on the arm that connect to the horizontal bar. It's not easy to see, or rather it's easy to miss and not something you would normally know is ther or not. From memory it was a bugger to fit (with carbs and everything in place) 

Neil

Charlie, that spring is very strong. I've just taken it off in the last hour to check my bearings which I'd class as acceptable. It's far easier to do with the car on a lift and the engine out so I'm glad I've done it. With it being so strong it really does make a big difference to the return. Its a good chance that's the main cause of your problem. 

Good luck fitting, you may need to take the carb off but I do think I manqged to get it on last time with carb on, just struggled and had a few choice words

Neil

Hi Charlie, mine was originally LHD so I cannot be certain it's right but I think the same mechanism is used for LHD and RHD as the carbs are still on the same side :), it's just the pedals that change. 

I've attached a photo of the area. Not the greatest photo, but the top right is hole that the bush fits in, at the bottom left is a little tab with a whole in it. That's the body connection for the spring. 

IMG_20210412_195157.jpg

16 minutes ago, Opv said:

Hi Neil 

I'm sorry for being such a pain but is there any chance you could send me the dimensions of the spring ie the length and the diameter 

Thanks 

Charlie 

They are available , Item No 15 herehttps://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/fuel-system-induction-controls/engine-controls/accelerator-pedal-fittings-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

Stuart

Hi Stuart 

Thanks for that the reason I asked for the dimensions is I have found a spring in a box of bits I got with the car and I'm not sure it that's the one 

Probably easier to just order one and be done with it lol

Cheers 

Charlie