Valve Stem Seals

After some recent head work I decided not to refit the valve stem seals fitted by PO. He had bronze guides with the recess to fit the seals.  All back together and working well but a little rattly. Sounds like the valve clearances are out but I have checked them 3 times. Accepting there is probably more clearance between stems and guides, could the rattle noise relate to the stem seals? If so, is it possible to refit without removing the head? Is there a ‘lever’ tool available to facilitate the spring and collar removal with head in situ?

Thanks 

9 hours ago, colin3511 said:

After some recent head work I decided not to refit the valve stem seals fitted by PO. He had bronze guides with the recess to fit the seals.  All back together and working well but a little rattly. Sounds like the valve clearances are out but I have checked them 3 times. Accepting there is probably more clearance between stems and guides, could the rattle noise relate to the stem seals? If so, is it possible to refit without removing the head? Is there a ‘lever’ tool available to facilitate the spring and collar removal with head in situ?

Thanks 

Colin

You can make a simple tool to do what you want I will try to post a picture later 

Hi Colin,

I doubt the small valve stem seal could act as a damper/stabilizer. The forces from rockers are very high, and the fragile seals will simply follow any movement, if the would be excessive clearance between stem and guide.

Waldi

Appreciate that Neil. Do you have any experience of noise related to removing the seals?

Thanks Waldi. Just seems strange that the only real difference is the stem seal removal. Not specific to TR's but having googled it there does seem to be a little correlation if they are removed, or if they have failed. I have fitted a slightly higher lift cam, so perhaps it is down to the valve springs maybe? Retained the standard double spring set up.

Thanks,

Colin

Hi Colin, if you’ve got a non standard cam the tappet clearance may well be different than the standard clearances. You probably need to check with the cam supplier.

Did I miss something?

No one has mentioned how the valves are kept up in the head.

'Rope Trick'

Rope in the plug hole that is compressed to hold the valves up with a rising piston

11 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Did I miss something?

No one has mentioned how the valves are kept up in the head.

'Rope Trick'

Rope in the plug hole that is compressed to hold the valves up with a rising piston

Or compressed air