This is why we can't have nice things

We often read reports on the forum about the poor quality of new products; from badly manufactured car parts and domestic appliances, to the short lifespan of modern tools and machinery. 

But when did this apparent decline in manufacturing standards begin, and why? Why is it that “they just don’t build ‘em like they used to”?

The answer may surprise you.

The Phoebus Cartel  . . .  that’s why.

Deggers

I did not watch the video to its end, perhaps at the end there is a epiphany?

Indeed cars (this is a car forum) last for very much longer today, need less maintenance and fuel, cost relatively less, offer more convenience and are safer.

A hole improvement.

On the other hand our TV is a 30 years old Loewe. I refuse to buy a new one, guess why

Hi Marco,

for some things I agree with you. My central heating boiler, that I installed, is 30+ years old of the old (pre-condensor) style and is running very well. 

Perhaps it is not as efficient as a new condensor type but just like a classic car I do not have to change it every ten years so efficiency accrues 

Plus - I can fix it should it go wrong.

Roger

Yeah, "Schnickschnack" is common use - but negativ.

You better don't say that to a person you don't know very good.

It is the other view on an issue or thing:

- for one person the "must have", "so pleased about"

- for another person absolutely and obviously senceless and not needed

Is this "frills"?

Edited by Z320

I like simple. Yet complexity seems to sell these days. The internet of things...computer controlled kettles, intelligent microwaves. I sense built-in obsolescence, that no-one locally can repair. I accept the need for information exchange via my laptop (10 years old) but do not see the wisdom of embracing computers in evrything I depend upon for daily routine living. Ecars, smart meters, smart central heating are all no-go areas for me, the over-riding consideration being: who gets it wroking again when it inevitably goes wrong.

Peter

8 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

I like simple. Yet complexity seems to sell these days. The internet of things...computer controlled kettles, intelligent microwaves. I sense built-in obsolescence, that no-one locally can repair. I accept the need for information exchange via my laptop (10 years old) but do not see the wisdom of embracing computers in evrything I depend upon for daily routine living. Ecars, smart meters, smart central heating are all no-go areas for me, the over-riding consideration being: who gets it wroking again when it inevitably goes wrong.

Peter

+1 and a virtual like :)

In the past two years I have purchsed two expensive electric shavers. One (Dutch) told me it had died with a flashing padlock symbol. I assume it had drowned despite being sold as wet-safe, and has now added itself to the recylcing mountian. The other (German) sounds like an over-revved cement mixer and removed skin as well as hair, but the trimmer is still useful. I have ditched e-shaving and  returned to blades, and am amazed at modern blade advances. Clever engineering does not have to be complicated.

Peter

The flashing padlock symbol on a razor usually means it is locked, so that it can't be switched on accidentally whilst travelling. :unsure:  To turn it on again you hold the power button down for a few seconds.

Of course a razor blade doesn't need any such complication :rolleyes:

Edited by RobH
17 minutes ago, RobH said:

The flashing padlock symbol on a razor usually means it is locked, so that it can't be switched on accidentally whilst travelling. :unsure:  To turn it on again you hold the power button down for a few seconds.

Tks Rob, I tried that, and leaving in the sun, turning the drive dog (which had  revived it once before), banging on the bench.....  no joy. 5-bladed razors win. Peter

20 hours ago, RobH said:

The flashing padlock symbol on a razor usually means it is locked, so that it can't be switched on accidentally whilst travelling. :unsure:  To turn it on again you hold the power button de aown for a few seconds.

Rob, You were right, thankyou for the heads-up. I retrieved the recalcitrant shaver from its grave at the bottom of the recyling bin, held the button down for 3sec and acouple later it ran again. I have no idea why it went  into sleep mode, but the nasty noise it was making at the time has gone.  The incident confirms me as a digital luddite, and incompatible with machines that appear to think for themselves.  Peter

It’s not just hardware that is over complicated just for the sake of it.

It always amazes me when I see yet another version of “Microsoft Word” announced.

How many functions do most people need in a word processor?

I’ve always believed that most users would be quite happy using “Word” Version 1 and not realized they were missing anything.

And what do people do if they want to produce a printout that has words in boxes or in table form?

They use Excel or another spreadsheet software. I don’t think they realize that word processor software will do that. (And spreadsheets were designed for numeric calculations.)

Charlie.

Win 7, Open Office, Thunderbird. Laptop is on its  third battery, second screen, fourth usb glidepad. Firefox p**ses me off with demanding to be updated. I did that once and lost hundreds of bookmarks. But the thing works - I know not how- and setting up a new device would be such a pain. Peter

On 4/15/2021 at 2:38 PM, Peter Cobbold said:

Peter

The most stupid "intelligent" device I have seen advertised recently is a power washer ( a certain brand that begins with a K ) that has is application connected to your mobile :o.

Dont know about anyone else but this is how I would end up .

"Humm I need a bit more pressure to wash away that mud ok just turn the knob to a higher setting, oh sh#t no knob, ah thats right Its an app on my phone, search in pocket for phone,ah found it now log into phone bugg@r what was my code, ah ok sorted now what is the bloody app called ? sh*** need to google it , ah there it is pressure washer app, now tap on it bugger my fingers are wet it doesnt work ok just wipe my finger dry on my shirt ok now thats it a bit more pressure..... oh sh#@ I have dropped my phone in the bloody puddle, now how am I going to shitch the bloody pressure washer off ??? oh Bu# sh7t bollo&cks "

Yes, ridiculous, that ad plays on UK TV too.

Saw a TV ad for Polaris all-electric car recently. Chinese I guess. Nearest main agent Beijing ? Not that I even contemplate buying chinese anything nowadays ( HK, Uigars) if I can possibly avoid it.

Peter

On 4/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Marco,

for some things I agree with you. My central heating boiler, that I installed, is 30+ years old of the old (pre-condensor) style and is running very well. 

Perhaps it is not as efficient as a new condensor type but just like a classic car I do not have to change it every ten years so efficiency accrues 

Plus - I can fix it should it go wrong.

Roger

When we lived in Devon we took advantage of the boiler scrappage scheme and replaced our 30 year old Baxi boiler with a modern condensing one. The impact on our heating bills was dramatic. The thing paid for itself within three years. Don’t knock everything modern.

Rgds Ian. 

10 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

When we lived in Devon we took advantage of the boiler scrappage scheme and replaced our 30 year old Baxi boiler with a modern condensing one. The impact on our heating bills was dramatic. The thing paid for itself within three years. Don’t knock everything modern.

Rgds Ian. 

Hi Ian,

I have heard similar things.

However many of the early condenser boilers were scraped due to the condenser pipe outlet freezing during winter.

New things evolve and improve.

Roger

9 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

I have heard similar things.

However many of the early condenser boilers were scraped due to the condenser pipe outlet freezing during winter.

New things evolve and improve.

Roger

Exhaust pipe plastic, aluminium or stainless steel?

Guided through the wall and ending there, or outside fixed on the face of the house over the roof or in a chimney over the roof?

15 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Yes, ridiculous, that ad plays on UK TV too.

Saw a TV ad for Polaris all-electric car recently. Chinese I guess. Nearest main agent Beijing ? Not that I even contemplate buying chinese anything nowadays ( HK, Uigars) if I can possibly avoid it.

Peter

Polaris is American snow mobile maker

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I thought Polestar was Volvo with brand separation, so if it bombs the parent company's name will not dragged down with it. 

Think Sterling for Rover in N America when the Joint Honda/Rover model the Rover 800/Legend model was released there branded Acura and Sterling.

https://ateupwithmotor.com/model-histories/acura-legend-rover-800-sterling/