Evening all, just been looking a the rear springs on my TR4a irs and they are showing signs of rust, I have the conversion kit on the rear and they have been on for 20+ years. Can I just clean them up and re spray them ( if so which paint ) or would you just change them.  Would you go for the standard or the silicon chrome 390lbs.

Mike Redrose Group 

It depends on your usage. We have done many long trips. 2 passengers, luggage, a full fuel tank and tools easily comes to 500lb. As I have mentioned before, both the front and rear springs are placed at about  2/3 of the length of the wishbone and trailing arm. This leverage reduces the effective wheel rate by a similar amount. So the 320lb rear springs at the rear have an effective rate of about 210lb/in and a 500lb load will drop the body by about 1”. 
We have 470lb springs on the back and fully laden, the car rides well. It has Koni shocks all round on their softest setting. Depending on your use, the 390lb springs might be a good compromise if your springs have sagged.

The rear springs are ok on the rear of the TR apart from the surface rust, the only reason I was asking about them is the car we use as our around town car and is not that old has just had a advisory on is MOT for surface rust on the rear springs and I don’t won’t the advisory on the MOT for the TR, so I will remove springs and spray.

Mike Redrose Group