Spark plug rethreading

Hi , noticed that my spark plug holes are getting really sloppy has anyone rethreaded  them with the head insitue 

The usual advice when doing a similar job is to heavily grease the tap, and to withdraw it frequently to clean off swarf.    

But if the threads are "sloppy" then they are worn, not damaged or in need of cutting.    I wonder - can such be Helicoiled?    That requires drilling out before putting the insert in, so really a bench job.

Edited by john.r.davies

If you're lucky,  running a thread chaser or tap through the plug holes may 'revive' slightly worn threads and make them serviceable for a bit longer.  As John has said,  use plenty of grease to prevent any debris falling into the cylinders. 

I wouldn't want to attempt fitting Helicoils without removing the head,  because of the amount of swarf caused by drilling and tapping for the new thread inserts.  Other's opinions may differ. 

Nigel

In Ally heads I  have used inserts that are available specifically for the purpose, loads of grease around the tap and spin it over with all plugs out to clear any debris. Wouldnt be so keen on doing that in a steel head.

Stuart.

Propshaft i.e. Me owns two moggies a lcv and a two door I also own a very nice tr7 I have been a member of the tr register for approximately 17 years . Thank you all for your input 

No offence, Propshaft!   But your TR7 isn't mentioned in your "Cars Owned" list"!

FYI, the answer to my question is Yes!    Do a Google for "helicoil spark plugs"

John

Edited by john.r.davies