HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has died.

RIP Sir.

I feel more emotional than I would have expected - he has been there, alongside HRH The Queen, all my life.

Edited by Rod1883
Title amendment to bring in line with original post in Alec's Inn

Not unexpected I suppose but the end of an era in some ways.  Adieu to a fine gent who always did his duty for the country.

I think it’s fine that Roger has posted the news.

We all know the whole world knows but think it’s only right that we are at liberty to comment or mark Prince Phillip’s death in our own words on this forum or any other if we so choose.

I am not a staunch monarchist but do know many people benefited greatly from the Duke Of Edinburgh Award and his presence.

I thought he was a strong and resolute character for the monarchy,  and our nation through difficult times, which many of us perhaps never witnessed, and personally all the way through my life and my children’s lives.

Rest in Peace HRH Prince Philip.

Edited by boxofbits

I find it odd that people should object to a post in the 'Social' section regarding the death of HRH Prince Philip - a man that served this country for over 80 years first as a Royal Navy Officer and then as HRH The Queen's life companion.

I posted in Alec's Inn earlier rather than here to keep it in the Members - for want of a better term - General section so those of us members that wanted to remember this great, sometimes flawed (as we all are), man could do so. I have no issue with it being here also and welcome it.

RIP Sir and, if I may be so bold, my condolences to HRH The Queen and the Royal Family.

• John Morrison changed the title to HRH, Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has died.

RIP we are unfortunately never likely to see the likes of him again.

A sad loss to us all, the Queen and county.

Andy 

• Rod1883 changed the title to HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, has died.

I would especially thank him for the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.   It helped my kids greatly, and has done much more for millions of deprived children from all around the world. 

I saw, not met him, at my daughter's Gold award presentation, and was struck then, twenty years ago, when he was nearly eighty, by his upright stance, alertness and clear delight at the success of the awardees.

John

Well said John, I would like to echo your first paragraph, all our kids were also challenged and enriched by his scheme.

I only met him once, bit less than 20years ago when he came to plant a tree at our office .......actually he only did a couple of token spade fulls before we all went off for a well deser:wacko:ved slap up lunch......... the fun started when he politely asked for a bottle of beer (we had a strictly enforced, from the good old US of A, zero tolerance alcohol policy; procedures required immediate removal from the premises, never to return) instead the service staff pretended not to hear and or understand..... they had picked the wrong guy... 

Cheers to his full and eventful life..... RIP...we will not see his like again

Yes our son on a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Hike through Chatsworth, Derbyshire learned how to secretly supplement the rations they were allowed to carry by popping into a Fete where Tea and cakes were available amongst the crowd.

I think HRH Philip would see the funny side of that too.

The Duke of Edinburgh Awards and Scouting have opened up so many opportunities for our son. Today he is in Yokohama,Japan.

Edited by SuzanneH

Dear Susanne,

I trust he will not reside so long there as to become slitty-eyed.

YES, I said it!   But if he could, so can I!

JOhn

:lol: He returns on Monday. Do you get blue eyed Japanese people with red hair ?

Good innings but did it really merit the BBC showing the same programme on BBC1, BBC2 and shutting down BBC4 for the night, let alone broadcasting the same on all of their radio stations?

Giving over the news channel would have been fine, but the expected death of a frail 99 year old is always going to be sad for his close family, but for 60million + of us he is a public figure and service to our country. However the BBC does not shut down for the day when other war veterans die, many of whom gave long term public service out of media scrutiny.

Agree Andy on the BBC overdoing it a bit, probably not wanting to be accused of not treating it with sufficient attention and deference. The Duke of Edinburgh was more than "just" a war veteran though, being HM The Queen's companion for over 70 years. To switch all channels to the announcement and perhaps a couple of hours of respectful broadcasting, and then dedicating just one TV and Radio channel for the rest of the day, perhaps BBC2 and Radio 4  - would have been sufficient, imho.

And what worthwhile, interesting programs would you have watched on BBC, if they hadnot chnaged the programming.

What outstanding entertainment have you missed?   Lets just choose BBC1 as an example?

1900 The One Show, formula TV magazine, no loss

1935 A Q of Sport, if yu like football great, otherwise a boreathon

2005 Easteneders Give me strength, O Lord!

2030 Masterchef   If I wan d to eat a vinaigrette of muesli on a bed of radishes I would watch it but I don't.

2130 HIGNFY   Only been going 20 years , only had one change of format in that time, they sacked Angus Deayton for - HORROR - tusing cocaine!   NObody else does!

2200 News  The ebst new son TV

1045 Graham Norton.     So clever, he thinks that he will keep me awake.   He doesn't.

BBC2 was worse, Match of the Day, more cooking, Scotlands Lochs, Gardeners world etc etc

So, for one night, for one extraordinary man, they didn't show this pap.    And some complain.

JOhn

Ps Here's HRH, IN A TRIUMPH!    Not a TR, but yu can't have everything

image.png

Fair comment John. I watch very little BBC 'live' TV - limited to things like the News, mainly the local version, Only Connect, QI, old stuff like Dad's Army and Fawlty Towers. Now and again there is something good on BBC4. It's rare that the BBC produces a new drama that is really good now, sadly.