TR4/TR4A Starter Solenoids.

Hi all,

trying to work out which is teh correct type of solenoid for which car.

My TR4 has teh round with a push button,

plas 4A has teh square type.

Moss book doesn't seem to show a switch over chassis number, just lists

Round ones and Square ones, bot work but is there a corcet one for each car?

John.

As stated: TR4 = round, TR4A = square. But the round has the handy button which the square does not have so even on 4A I would install the round one and change the inaccessible location at the same time

Hi John,

The period Lucas Spare Part catalogues – 1962 to 1967 – state that the round bodied solenoid with push button and rubber cap were fitted to the TR4 and TR4A.

The Lucas model number was 2ST and had a part number 76464.

The 4ST solenoid – square in shape and no push button was introduced with the TR5 and TR250 models.

Regards, Richard

1 hour ago, RAHTR4 said:

Hi John,

The period Lucas Spare Part catalogues – 1962 to 1967 – state that the round bodied solenoid with push button and rubber cap were fitted to the TR4 and TR4A.

The Lucas model number was 2ST and had a part number 76464.

The 4ST solenoid – square in shape and no push button was introduced with the TR5 and TR250 models.

Regards, Richard

Though both of my previous 4a had the later type square ones and they were definitely fitted from new. One a 66 and the other a very late "F" reg 67 actually first registered nearly 6 months after discontinuation of the 4a

Stuart.

My RHD 4A first registered July 67 is the round type with rubber button.  It certainly looks scruffy enough to be original.

Where did you move yours to Geko ?

I have seen square ones with a smaller red push button on some seventies cars, whether they are available now or not I wouldn`t like to say.

Ralph

My 4A, built in October 1966 had a round starter solenoid on acquisition in 1970 so in all probability fitted from new.

Tim