Aluminium cylinder heads

The aluminium cylinder heads for the 4 cylinder TR engine have been available for years now and I’d very much like to hear feedback from those who have fitted, and had experience with them. Two obvious questions: are they reliable, and do they respond as well or better to tuning than the iron head?

21 minutes ago, skodajag said:

The aluminium cylinder heads for the 4 cylinder TR engine have been available for years now and I’d very much like to hear feedback from those who have fitted, and had experience with them. Two obvious questions: are they reliable, and do they respond as well or better to tuning than the iron head?

"Two obvious questions: are they reliable, and do they respond as well or better to tuning than the iron head?"

I believe the alloy head is regarded as reliable in normal roadgoing use, (I've never used myself, only what have been told).

The alloy head has been tried in competition and I believe now the iron heads are preffered, so from that you can take it there is no advantage and probably a disadvantage. (again no personal experience only what have been told).

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, skodajag said:

An Ali head was trial fitted to a 4A prior to them going on sale many moons ago. As fas as I am aware it is still going strong.

However this is not used for racing.

Are you allowed to fit an Ali head for racing?

Roger

38 minutes ago, RogerH said:

An Ali head was trial fitted to a 4A prior to them going on sale many moons ago. As fas as I am aware it is still going strong.

However this is not used for racing.

Are you allowed to fit an Ali head for racing?

Roger

Probably depends on what series your racing in, I know the racer boys havent had much success with them so have gone back to steel. Now if you could have an Ally block as well...........................................

Stuart.

According to Moss, 2/3rds of the more than 700 heads have been produced in alloy, but the competition people have to conform to the regulations for their particular sport(s), so tend to use iron.

Ian Cornish

Paul Tunnadine has one of the original test alloy heads on his TR4A, and other than checking torque settings in the initial periods, I don't think he has had any problems since fitted, and he does use his TR4A as his regular transport, covering may thousands of miles.
Ian

On 4/8/2021 at 2:09 PM, RogerH said:

Roger