Good afternoon,

I know this subject has been covered many times, but I still have some problems I can't find answers to!

I've spent several hours bending the brackets and frames and trial fitting the drivers side screen until It's pretty close I think, as pics below. The forward socket seems to be in the right place, but the rear one was too high and is at present unfixed. Before I screw it in place, some questions:

1. The side screen won't tuck into the hood flap at the rear, it would need to go about 2cm further forward. Is this just a poorly fitted hood?

2. Does the location of the front seam of the screen in the stanchion channel look about right?

3.  Is it supposed to slot into that channel by itself when you shut the door? The corner of the hood stops it doing that. I can't see how you can slot it in from inside the car?

Any advice much appreciated!

Brian

Side screen 1.jpg

Side screen 2.jpg

Side screen 3.jpg

The slot in the stanchion is for the sidescreen to slot into when you shut the door, The rear may not match with the hood as there are often different interpretations of that part of the aperture.Looks like you need to go down a bit and forwards to get a better fit. This s often why you find lots of previous holes in the wood that the sockets screw into!

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

The slot in the stanchion is for the sidescreen to slot into when you shut the door, The rear may not match with the hood as there are often different interpretations of that part of the aperture.Looks like you need to go down a bit and forwards to get a better fit. This s often why you find lots of previous holes in the wood that the sockets screw into!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. What I don't get is that the sidescreen won't slot into the stanchion at the top when I shut the door until the top corner is tucked under the hood flap. I can poke it in from outside the car, but not from inside!

I guess I'll have to live with the misfit at the rear as its not going to move that far forwards.

Brian

+1 to Stuart’s reply, patience is the name of the game. You’ve probably done it but I often attached the brackets to the sidescreens but leave out the screws and then adjust from the outside. Then clamber in from the other side and straighten the brackets up and mark for drilling the screw holes. All good fun.

Iain

Edited by iain
22 minutes ago, Brian Eldred said:

Thanks Stuart. What I don't get is that the sidescreen won't slot into the stanchion at the top when I shut the door until the top corner is tucked under the hood flap. I can poke it in from outside the car, but not from inside!

I guess I'll have to live with the misfit at the rear as its not going to move that far forwards.

Brian

As I said it looks as if the sidescreen needs to go down a little.

Stuart.

I found this, which has some good pictures at the end of the last page https://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/back-to-tr3-sidescreens.81211/page-5

It looks like the screen goes further into the stanchion slot at the bottom than the top, and only a little way into the hood flap. Much more fiddling about to do :rolleyes:

Edited by Brian Eldred
Link didn't work

What I said earlier again it needs to go down a bit then it can go further forward into the sidescreen channel and then it will fit better to the hood and no it doesnt go further in at the bottom it should be parallel to it.

Stuart.

+1 parallel to it, I found it advantageous to angle the sidscreen slightly in at the top to make sure it engages in the slot. The mounting arms are parallel to the screen stansions, so lowering them (moving the wedges up) will maintain the correct fit with the screen.

Mine is a reasonably good fit (having spent hours on it) but To close the door I still have to lift the front outside flap a little for the sidescreen to slip under it. easily done from inside or outside the car.

Bob.

1593937834_leftsidehooddetail.thumb.JPG.2886e42890738a3a39a6a8458c8f149a.JPG

Edited by Lebro

I had my hood custom made to fit after I had fitted the side screens.  The guy who made it (and who had been making hoods since Adam was a lad) set it up like Bob's with the top flap just covering the sidescreen and when I shut the door, I have to tuck it under the flap which as Bob says is no big deal.  If you didn't have that arrangement the rain would run down the inside.  As it is, my hood is pretty much totally waterproof.

Rgds Ian

This is as good as I could get it. The front won't go any lower as the bracket is sitting on the door capping, and the screen won't go any further forward. In fact when I close the door, the front edge of the screen won't engage in the slot in the stanchion by itself as it catches slightly on the stanchion as the door shuts, so I guess it even needs to go back a bit.

On the rear bracket, I'm going to have to drill a 3rd hole in the wedge to get it to sit low enough. I've lowered the socket as far as it will go without having to drill through metal - they both now sit about 1/2" below the edge of the door card.

As far as the rear corner goes, I think modifying the hood flap will be the only answer. I'll try the other side and see how that goes, but its looking much the same so far.

Brian

Sidescreen 4.jpg

Hi Brian,

I think you meed to go still further down with the front lower section and the rear should lift. You need the front flap in as far as it will go and fully in not crimped up at the nose.

So down further and forward as mucjh as you can. The flap sometimes need to be worked in to keep the shape.

A bit like this

P5300090.JPG

Two observations.

The front edge of the sidescreen is not parallel to the stanchion, I think the rear of it needs to go up. The top of the sidescreen should guide it's self into the groove as you shut the door.

It looks to me that the hood is too blame for the rear not lining up.

Bob.

1 hour ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Brian,

I think you meed to go still further down with the front lower section and the rear should lift. You need the front flap in as far as it will go and fully in not crimped up at the nose.

So down further and forward as mucjh as you can. The flap sometimes need to be worked in to keep the shape.

A bit like this

P5300090.JPG

Hi Rod,

As I said I can't get the front to go any lower as the bracket is sitting on the door cap. It would take some cutting and welding of the bracket to get it any lower.

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Two observations.

The front edge of the sidescreen is not parallel to the stanchion, I think the rear of it needs to go up. The top of the sidescreen should guide it's self into the groove as you shut the door.

It looks to me that the hood is too blame for the rear not lining up.

Bob.

Hi Bob,

The flap on the front edge of the sidescreen is actually a bit wider at the top than the bottom. If I lift the rear any more I'll get less of the top under the hood flap. I think I will have to live with it unless and until I can alter the hood and the front bracket.

Brian

47 minutes ago, Brian Eldred said:

Hi Rod,

As I said I can't get the front to go any lower as the bracket is sitting on the door cap. It would take some cutting and welding of the bracket to get it any lower.

Thats why its always better to do whatever cut and shut is needed on the screens with the bare frames first as you do often have to get quite brutal with them.

Stuart.