My fuel gauge is away for repair because it flicks to minus empty as you drive along. It also has condensation on the inner glass after a few miles. The repair man says that the condensation is my fault and he is not interested. I should have gone somewhere else but they did overhaul the gauge eight years ago and I was hoping that they would look after a returning customer. I do not want to start bothering other companies with technical phone calls so I am looking for advice here from someone with the same problem if possible.

Thanks Richard & B

The repairer really can't do anything about condensation on the glass Richard.  The gauge is not totally sealed and if the car is stored where there is damp air,  it will seep into the gauge.  Short of hermetically-sealing it, you just can't stop it.  

When you drive in cold air, the glass cools down and the moisture will settle out on it. The only way to prevent that is to live somewhere warm and dry or to store the car in a carcoon with a dehumidifier.    Even if the repairer dries the gauge out, as soon as the car goes back in a damp garage it will happen again. 

Confused Richard, I thought I was the last person to setup your gauge / sender.  If the gauge is dipping to empty or below, then either you have an intermittent short to earth on the wire between the sender & gauge, or the sender is internal shorting to earth (unlikely) or the gauge has an internal short on that connection to earth.(also unlikely), or the gauge earth connection is intermittent. 

The condensation is very common, mine does it, it's caused by dampness inside the coils, which vaporized when the coils are active, & heat up a little. 

Bob

Edited by Lebro

How do I keep the dampness out of the coils. Can I try and make the whole unit more air tight and would that help.  It never used to happen in the past.

Richard & B

4 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

How do I keep the dampness out of the coils. Can I try and make the whole unit more air tight and would that help.  It never used to happen in the past.

Richard & B

I think making it more airtight would make things worse, unless you can put some dessicant in there, & then completely seal it.

It would be better to give it more ventilation, Something I might try someday.

Bob.