We have an electric sandwich toaster which has a broken corner. I have tried plastic weld and it snapped off again yesterday. Can anyone recommend a powerful adhesive ??

Richard & B

Hi Richard,

24 Hour Araldite will do the job (not Rapid)  but!!! -

It all depends on the shape and structure.

If you are joining two thin sections then mechanically it will always be weaker than the original moulding. Is it possible to put a plate on the underside to spread the load.

You also need to seriously scuff the surface to provide a key.  Remove any oily/fatty products

Roger 

Some plastics are difficult to glue Richard, as they have a 'greasy' surface so the stuff doesn't bond properly.  Also a sandwich toaster gets pretty hot which most adhesives won't like much.  JB weld is a high-temperature epoxy but that won't stick to polyolefins without a special primer.  Was the glue you used a solvent type and if so did it 'bite' into the surface?

I did not use any primer and when I cleaned it this morning all the old adhesive came off easily. It is a rounded corner and difficult to reinforce. I have some zinc roof flashing but it is very flexible and may not help much. What is the Gorilla glue on TV ads?

2 minutes ago, Richardtr3a said:

I did not use any primer and when I cleaned it this morning all the old adhesive came off easily. It is a rounded corner and difficult to reinforce. I have some zinc roof flashing but it is very flexible and may not help much. What is the Gorilla glue on TV ads?

Hi Richard,

have you tried the solvent glue that plumbers use for their plastic pipes. This melts (welds) the two surfaces together.

Roger