Rear deck seal Backlight to rear deck

Hi all,

can anyone tell me how the rear deck seal is attached to the Backlight? When my backlight was removed, there wasn’t a seal. My car has a bright aluminium metal capping that sits in the deck and the backlight sat on that. 
Greg 

42 minutes ago, Greg said:

Hi all,

can anyone tell me how the rear deck seal is attached to the Backlight? When my backlight was removed, there wasn’t a seal. My car has a bright aluminium metal capping that sits in the deck and the backlight sat on that. 
Greg 

Hi Greg

Have a look at this link. To my knowledge there is no bright aluminium part that the deck sits on. Are you thinking of the screen capping ? 

There is a rubber that locates between rear of backlight and deck. The rubber supplied by Moss is really awkward to fit where it pulls up round the lip of the backlight. I think Stuart gave me the part number/ supplier of a better rubber to obtain.

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/surrey-top-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
1 hour ago, Greg said:

Hi all,

Greg 

Hi Greg,

the TR4 convertible has a bright anodized trim around the rear deck. Is it possible that somebody has fitted a surrey rear frame on top of the trim.

This is not the way to go.

Remove the bright trim. Fit a 'U' shaped seal on the lower lip of the rear frame. Back in the 90's the Moss product was tooooo stiff. The Rwvongton seal was perfect. 

Roger

Hi Kevin,

as you can see on the attached photo there is bright metal under the Backlight. Having see it on the car yesterday without the backlight, it does look like an original part. 
I will see if I can get better photos today. I’m sure someone would not have gone to the effort of fabricating this for themselves. 
Greg. 

F35C1CF2-F3E0-4420-888A-13B6FC50DD95.jpeg

17 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Greg,

the TR4 convertible has a bright anodized trim around the rear deck. Is it possible that somebody has fitted a surrey rear frame on top of the trim.

This is not the way to go.

Remove the bright trim. Fit a 'U' shaped seal on the lower lip of the rear frame. Back in the 90's the Moss product was tooooo stiff. The Rwvongton seal was perfect. 

Roger

Hi Roger,

that would explain why I have not seen it on any other TR4. I’ll have it removed. 
I assume the seal fits into the backlight before it is fitted to the deck? 
Greg

22 minutes ago, Greg said:

Hi Kevin,

as you can see on the attached photo there is bright metal under the Backlight. Having see it on the car yesterday without the backlight, it does look like an original part. 
I will see if I can get better photos today. I’m sure someone would not have gone to the effort of fabricating this for themselves. 
Greg. 

F35C1CF2-F3E0-4420-888A-13B6FC50DD95.jpeg

Hi Greg

Yes I can see the part you mean now. As Roger said I thought you meant someone had fitted an aluminium trim under the backlight. Roger’s post explains where to obtain the alternative seal.

Kevin

54 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

Hi Greg

Yes I can see the part you mean now. As Roger said I thought you meant someone had fitted an aluminium trim under the backlight. Roger’s post explains where to obtain the alternative seal.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I’ve been to the workshop and asked the guys not to refit it already. 

thank you

Greg

On 4/7/2021 at 3:11 PM, Colin Symonds said:

This is the backlight on my 4A, this shows how the seal should fit.

20200812-P1050016-2.jpg

Hi Colin, thank you. I will print your picture and take to the guys working on my car. 
though when the backlight was removed, there was no sign of any ingress of water whatsoever, so it must make a water tight seal. 

Greg