Clutch rep[acement 3a

Hi all. Just taken the clutch out of Poppy and cannot get a centre plate to match the one fitted. Ordered one from Rimmer and an OE from Borg & Beck.  The plate fitted has 10 splines but is much smaller diameter  in the spline hole.  Despite quoting the number on the plate to B.B. I still get the wrong plate. Any one had a similar experience?  Cheers Chris.

Sounds like you have a saloon box hence the smaller input shaft.

Stuart.

Possibly Stuart, I have no idea.  Any distinguishing mark ect to look for?  It has overdrive on 2, 3 & 4 if that is any help. Must be something like you suggest as I have just been to  Souton Cross to meet a Buddy who thought he had a plate but no joy.  Cheers Chrris.

Cheers Chris.

Chris - the serial number of the gearbox will be stamped into the alloy of the bellhousing, most commonly on the nearside and almost always on the lump of alloy which the clutch cross shafts sits in - - it may be on the top or side and you usually need to clean the area with a wire brush to see  - if it's a saloon box, it will probably start MB or MK followed by some numbers. Sometimes, particularly with MK variants, it may be on the offside but in a similar location.

If it's an A type overdrive, then it should have the serial number stamped on a narrow rectangular brass or alloy plate rivetted to the central round casing - it should start 22/then be followed by 6 digits denoting the model source of the unit/ then be followed by some more digits denoting the unit's own ID.

If it's a J type OD, the serial number is on a larger rectangular plate attached on the lower offside part of the OD sump - it will normally start 25 (could be 28)/then as per the A type sequence above.

Hope this helps

Cheers  Rich

Thanks every one for your help.  The only number I have found so far is as suggested on the clutch fork casting and it says 4H69 and the overdrive is atype with a horizontal solenoid which I an just ordering.  The center plate problem will be solved soon by a nice man called Paul who is DPR at Lifton   Devon who reline clutches ect sometimes while you wait  01566784855.  Cheers Chris.

45 minutes ago, RUBY131 said:

Thanks every one for your help.  The only number I have found so far is as suggested on the clutch fork casting and it says 4H69 and the overdrive is atype with a horizontal solenoid which I an just ordering.  The center plate problem will be solved soon by a nice man called Paul who is DPR at Lifton   Devon who reline clutches ect sometimes while you wait  01566784855.  Cheers Chris.

With the solenoid like that its a saloon box.

Stuart.

I have the saloon box in my 3a and used a vitesse 2litre plate as I already had it . (or you could just order the saloon plate)

Ralph

15 hours ago, RUBY131 said:

Thanks Stuart, you probably know of Paul at D.P.R. as  he is down your way.    Chris.

Nope I use Precision clutches in Somerset http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/

Stuart.

Thanks again to everyone, so much knowledge out there. Just to add to my problems i took the rubber cover off the O/D solenoid and the plastic/bakelite section where all the terminals are just fell to bits.  New one sourced from Bowers being delivered Monday so onward and upwards.    Thanks again    Chris.