Forumites

I have a problem which precludes me from using my right foot for braking, in short, making the swivelling / lifting motion, to move my foot from the throttle to the brake, is not a movement I can make easily or quickly, so, I brake with my left foot.

Thus, 3 pedals is 1 too many for me.

My question;

Could I marry an auto box to a Triumph 2.5PI?

Thanks Roger

A long term project.

I would love to have another TR, but auto is the only option, if I am to drive it.  If I don't, what's the point?

I need to find a garage to store a 1960's / 70's car and have to rationalise the whole thing with SWMBO, who fears that I would not be able to complete this sort of renovation.

A lot to think about

Hi John

a Triumph 2000 / stag auto box will bolt straight on ... regularly for sale on eBay together with all the bits. I went the reverse direction and it’s all fully interchangeable.

regards

Tony 

It is said that the  BW type 65 is the nicer box compared to the more common type 35.  I have had both in big Triumphs and agree, but that may have been because of the gearbox age and condition that I owned.

Peter W

The BW35 certainly was ok in the Triumph 2000 I had, but it was a 1998cc so I’d assume the BW65 would be a better bet fir a TR? 

Hi John

After collecting far too many original TR250 and TR6 articles over the last 40 years I have an American article which is quite specific with regard to converting a manual carb TR6 into an automatic type. I can send you a copy if you send me your email address via a PM if you want?

regards

Alan

1 hour ago, TR4Tony VC said:

The BW35 certainly was ok in the Triumph 2000 I had, but it was a 1998cc so I’d assume the BW65 would be a better bet fir a TR? 

Early 135BHP 2.5Pi saloons had BW35 auto-boxes without any problems, and my own one ended up with a full CP spec engine, ..... Chris Witor would be a good source(and knowledge) of all the extra bits needed to make the very do-able project work.

John,

The June/July 1999 Triumph World has an article on the conversion of a US TR6 to automatic using a T2000 box. The issues encountered were that the T2000 has a 15 degree cant, the auto box was shorter and wider so needed a special mounting to be made up, some modifications were required to the gearbox tunnel, the propshaft needed to be lengthened and mods made so that it would mate to the auto box output. There were also some mods required to the shift linkage and gearbox flex plate. It all seemed perfectly do-able and as others have noted Chris Witor would no doubt have all of the parts necessary. If you send me an email to saffrontr6@outlook.com I can send you a copy of the article.

Derek