Laycock J type gearbox

Hi please could someone help  have just installed my Jtype box into my 4a. I have wire harness from Moss, just want to confirm where the wire goes as the wiring diagram confused me. I belive the single yellow and purple wire attached to the selinod. The wire joins another yellow purple wire onto one spade not sure where that goes. There is then another double wire yellow and green onto another spade not sure where that goes. Two wires yellow and green and yellow and purple individual. Last single wire yellow and green with single push connector. 

Three relays on box two on the top one on side each with twin spade connectors 

Thanks Philip 

A photo of what you have would help clarify, Phil.  By 'relays' on the box do you mean the interlock switch(es)?  The one on the side should be for a reversing light.  If there are two on the top I guess you are intending to use OD in 2nd as well as 3rd/4th?  J types usually only have one switch for 3rd/4th. 

I don't think it is recommended to use 2nd with a J type overdrive but I know some people do.......  The 3/4 interlock switch you need to wire to is the older one nearest to the gearstick.  

That loom looks a bit too complicated for a J type which is very simple like this:325654521_Jwiring.jpg.9f0e958ffec82aef75cb9e13feafdacd.jpg

If it was bought for a 4a then it is intended for an A type and caters for two interlock switches and a relay which you don't really need.  

Edited by RobH

Errr - I don't think you should connect up the reversing switch to the overdrive Phil. You certainly don't want to have it work in reverse as the result will be expensive noises. 

Those extra connections in the loom are for the front interlock switch if you wanted it to operate on 2nd as well.  The reverse switch on the side of the remote is to operate a lamp not the OD. 

If you are using the OD with 3/4 only then those other connections in the loom are redundant. 

Edited by RobH

That's wrong, the switch on the side is for reversing lights, The way you have wired it the lights will come on when you enguage overdrive, & you will destroy the overdrive the 1st time you reverse !!!

Bob.

Rob beat me to it !

Edited by Lebro