Can anyone tell me the correct oil pressure for my TR5. The engine was o/hauled 5,000 mlies ago with a new oil pump fitted (not a gennuine pump but a repro probably made in India). The pressure has been okay until 3 weeks ago, and on tickover when hot it shows 5/10 lbs. At 2,500 rpm it shows 30 lbs pressure. When cold the oil pressure goes off the guage. Did I ought to be worried?

Thanks Peter

uym 790f :unsure:

If it was me, I'd be seriously concerned. I always go by the rule of thumb that under normal cruising conditions all the guages should be roughly vertical. Clearly oil pressure varies with revs, but even at idle should not drop to almost nothing. Try the easy checks first - pressure relief valve spring and pressure guage. Does the oil light flicker at idle? You mention that "When cold the oil pressure goes off the guage". Was this off the bottom at idle or off the top at speed?

Jerry

I agree with Jerry that probably the engine has some problem. An oil pressure gauge reading too low is

unusual. Maybe it's the oil pump. Removing the sump to check the oil pump and main and bigend bearings is relatively simple and perhaps you are preventing serious damage

Thanks for your replies. I have checked the pressure relief valve and also the rocker feed but I have come to the conclusion that the ( Indian oil pump) is knackered. I have no alternative to drop the sump and either refit the original pump or get another pump. Unfortunately I wont be able to drive to the weekend in my 5 because I havent the time to carry out the work. But I will be there in my everyday car.

Cheers Peter

uym 790F :angry:

Peter, when you get your new pump pay a bit extra and get the matched components. Also, very carefully check the components for tolerance using feeler guages and adjust the end float. It is some time since I've done this but it is described in the workshop manual and involves a sheet of glass and grinding paste.

Jerry

There have been some really poor repro oil pumps beeing sold. If you know where you bought it take it back.

The problem is the suppliers have been specifying a price to the manufacturers rather than a quality (and haggling over the price)

Cheap components are fine but they still need to be up to the job.

Peter

I noticed the words "rocker feed" in your reply. If you've got one of these on it might be contributing to your problem. Search back through the posts on the subject as in general, they aren't recommended.