Gearbox and overdrive rebuild

I’m at that stage!  
looking at the GB and OD with a view to rebuilding them. Drained the oil and removed the top selector cover. Gears mashed and the drain plug looked like a sprig of broccoli with all the metal partials on it.  The fork spigots are loose and it all looks a mess. 
Removed the oil cover plate on the OD to find a large chunk of metal sat on the filter. Something else broken. 

So thinking that this may be a mammoth task, I feel that it may be better just getting a recon box and OD. 
what are peoples thoughts on the Moss one at £1019. Would I get a better deal getting mine rebuilt. If so where(I’m in Bristol). Pointers please. 

I'm in the middle of refurbishing my GB and adding a J Type OD unit. It sounds that yours needs a whole lot of replacement parts. Try https://www.overdrive-repairs.co.uk/ before you go antwhere else - very helpful company.

For me, I bought a GB repair kit from James Paddock and had bought an Oforverdrive Services unit reconditioned but not used from a 'bloke'. I've also bought three new bushes surprisingly not supplied in the kit. I'm going to hit circa £700 so suggest a replacement seems a good idea for you.

1 hour ago, InfinityJon said:

I’m at that stage!  
looking at the GB and OD with a view to rebuilding them. Drained the oil and removed the top selector cover. Gears mashed and the drain plug looked like a sprig of broccoli with all the metal partials on it.  The fork spigots are loose and it all looks a mess. 
Removed the oil cover plate on the OD to find a large chunk of metal sat on the filter. Something else broken. 

So thinking that this may be a mammoth task, I feel that it may be better just getting a recon box and OD. 
what are peoples thoughts on the Moss one at £1019. Would I get a better deal getting mine rebuilt. If so where(I’m in Bristol). Pointers please. 

Hi Jon!

I would go to the leading OD/Gearbox repairer here in the UK 'Overdrive Repair Services' as approved by Volvo. He does over 500 OD units for them per annum and have the lay shaft modified to same spec as Stag, to 3 needle rollers to cure the TR GB known fault. Was your GB whining in the first three gears and then go silent in 4th as this is a sign of failing lay shaft? My gearbox was done by them to cure this fault, no problems since.

Bruce.

Just had my gearbox, overdrive and differential rebuilt by Pete Cox. Reasonable price and great service. Highly recommended.

2 hours ago, Iruka said:

Just had my gearbox, overdrive and differential rebuilt by Pete Cox. Reasonable price and great service. Highly recommended.

A friend of mine had a GB done by him and he put in a soft Moss lay shaft which lasted 400 miles before it had to be rebuilt again?????

Bruce.

Bruce - with respect you often bring this up about Pete Cox, but it was quite a few years ago now, and as soon as the problem was identified, steps were taken to rectify it, as far as I understand the situation.

ORS are, as are the other main stream rebuilders, a very professional outlet and do a great job, but they all make mistakes from time to time as well, so lets try and be fair and balanced.

I understand Pete Cox has restored over 11000 gearboxes so far to date in his working life, so that surely must say something about his abilities? 

Cheers Rich

11 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Bruce - with respect you often bring this up about Pete Cox, but it was quite a few years ago now, and as soon as the problem was identified, steps were taken to rectify it, as far as I understand the situation.

ORS are, as are the other main stream rebuilders, a very professional outlet and do a great job, but they all make mistakes from time to time as well, so lets try and be fair and balanced.

I understand Pete Cox has restored over 11000 gearboxes so far to date in his working life, so that surely must say something about his abilities? 

Cheers Rich

I know a few people that have had problems 

17 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Cheers Rich

Hi Rich,

The problem of soft lay shafts existed for over 25 years and It was not until they sold me one that it got sorted out. After I was warned by one of the leading TR restores and I went and had it Rockwell hardness tested. I got the usual story from Moss that nobody else had ever complained then they did a test on it and agreed it was soft. Then I believed Roger H got involved and the problem has now been resolved. But I also remember reading an article in TR Action that people living in Essex had suffered badly from this problem?

Bruce.