Spare wheel pan to rear valance fixing.

Happy Easter to all!

I am currently repairing the rear inner body work of the TR2. I have removed remnants of the rear closing panel, stiffner and rear body mounting bracket so I can repair the spare wheel pan side that has rusted away where the body mount is welded.

On closer inspection where the spare wheel pan meets the spare wheel aperture there is a gap at each top corner. The wheel pan metal is bent outwards and not welded as the rest is. Hopefully the photos will show this.

Could anyone tell me if this is how the cars were made originally or is it the remnants of a previous repair?

Thanks Ed

20210404_134504.jpg

Thanks Ian, I suspected as much. The second photo did not come out too well. Hopefully this one shows it better, taken from the inner wheel arch looking towards the spare wheel pan and the inside of the rear apron.  The top corner of the spare wheel pan has been cut and bent towards the outside. It just does not look correct!

IMG-20210404-WA0003.jpg

I am fairly sure mine was like that, I have not got a before picture of that area, but I always try to make my repair panels as close to original as I am able, and the pics attached show the panel I made and it in place before welding. If you think of the relative shapes of the parts there had to be some way of allowing the straight vertical side of the wheel well to attach to the spare wheel opening, easy up the side until you get to the curved part at the top. Though I achieved a bit closer fit than your picture shows.

Ralph 

20160314_170853.jpg

20160314_171005.jpg

20160314_180001.jpg

Edited by Ralph Whitaker

Thanks Ralph, yes, on closer inspection from inside the wheel pan, the pan goes vertical whilst the opening is curved, so on reflection is most likely correct! Just not very neat on my car! Any photos of other cars in this area would be most welcome! Thanks Ed

It doesn`t really matter that there is a gap there, as it is inside the boxed in section of the rear panel so no water can come through it from the rear wheels, and anyway, it gives you an access point for spraying waxoyl in later.

Ralph

24 minutes ago, Phil Read said:

I am fitting a rear apron and closing panels to my 3A and its exactly the same.

How are you getting on with it, i have had to break of from mine due to work so have not been able to post anything new.

I have removed the front wings, I had to chop one off as it was rotten and all the bolts were seized. I have fit a new near side floor and one of the outriggers. Repaired rot at the front of the n/s sill and round the bulkhead sealer plate. I have not attached the rear apron yet, I want it to be a neat job so I am employing a good welder, he has been waiting for the restrictions to end before coming. I have excellent second hand rear wings and n/s front wing to fit they are prepared for painting. The o/s front wing is good apart from the bottom so I have ordered a repair panel, I have not been able to find a good second hand o/s wing. I have some new door hinges to fit, assuming I can get the bolts out of the old ones. Hopefully I will have it ready for painting mid summer.

10 hours ago, Phil Read said:

I have removed the front wings, I had to chop one off as it was rotten and all the bolts were seized. I have fit a new near side floor and one of the outriggers. Repaired rot at the front of the n/s sill and round the bulkhead sealer plate. I have not attached the rear apron yet, I want it to be a neat job so I am employing a good welder, he has been waiting for the restrictions to end before coming. I have excellent second hand rear wings and n/s front wing to fit they are prepared for painting. The o/s front wing is good apart from the bottom so I have ordered a repair panel, I have not been able to find a good second hand o/s wing. I have some new door hinges to fit, assuming I can get the bolts out of the old ones. Hopefully I will have it ready for painting mid summer.

Thanks for the update, looks like you will be well ahead of me.

Edited by R.M.