TR4A - Surrey top fitting

Hi Guys, 

Although my new Surrey Top (supplied by Coventry Hood and Tonneau) looks good and is nice and smooth, I am not happy with the fit on top of the windows.

It seems to me that the inside flap is too wide and sits on top of the windscreen and backlight vertical seals and holds the glass away at the top when the glass is up.  I assume that it should sit at the edge of the vertical seals not on top of them!

I know that the perhaps the general fit in this area can be a bit hit and miss, but I am thinking of un stitching the ends of the flap, cutting back and re stitching so that the flaps don't hold off the glass.

Appreciate any advice from those that have lived with a Surrey top for some  time as this is my first experience and Lockdown prevents being able to see another TR4/A fitted with a Surrey for comparison.

Photo's below. Sorry as much as I try to rotate the pictures to show correct orientation they still attach as shown!

Rich 

20210404_112916 resize.jpg

20210404_112902 resize.jpg

It does look like theyre a tad too long, if your going to shorten them then make sure they fit exactly between the rubbers and adjust the elastics to hold it nice and tight between then it`ll be nicely waterproof.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Yes I think they are long. I will  attempt to un stitch the folded edge, cut back and re stitch. What fun :wacko:

Rich

Another one with a rubber seal across the rear! 
Tim

Thanks Guys. It seems pretty obvious that in my case the flap is too long and holds off the glass as it sits on top of the seals. I will cut it back and re stitch.

Yes Tim, if you look at the Youtube video by John Skinner of his Surrey Top, he does fit a seal across the rear! Whether this is original or not, who knows?

Rich

4 hours ago, rvwp said:

Thanks Guys. It seems pretty obvious that in my case the flap is too long and holds off the glass as it sits on top of the seals. I will cut it back and re stitch.

Yes Tim, if you look at the Youtube video by John Skinner of his Surrey Top, he does fit a seal across the rear! Whether this is original or not, who knows?

Rich

Ive had originals with and without so who knows.

Stuart.