1969 UK TR6 PI Paint scheme-confirmation

Hi all

My shell is ready for paint at last so I was wanting confirmation of the paint scheme to give to the painter.

Body will be 2K Royal Blue (base & clear)

Below the chrome strip and rear Satin Black

Windscreen surround Royal Blue

One thing I'm not sure about is that been such an early car should it have wing beading on the top of the rear wings/rear deck again in body colour?

Finally I've seen cars with wing mirrors on both the doors and wings I presume the drivers door is the correct position (the passenger door never had one from the factory?)

If people could confirm I'd appreciate your input.

Cheers 

Andy

PS she was Damson but the wife hates the colour so Blue it is!

2 hours ago, tr graham said:

Andy 

no mirrors as standard on a 69 Tr6  and yes short wing beading painted same as the body . I like damson it’s a great colour.

graham

6C782163-66C3-4976-8447-04A8D1F9F278.jpeg

Thanks Graham lovely original car!

I like Damson never knew they had no wing mirrors at all how do you find driving in modern traffic without them or do you have a stiff neck.

How does the trim stay in place is it simply sandwiched between the deck/wing using the tabs on the trim?

Andy 

Andy

thank you yes  done only 29,000 miles from new ,  you just need to look in the rear view a bit more often , and as in your driving test check the blind spot , never been on a motorway , but they are a bit scarce here in Norfolk , the wing beads are just held in place by the tags and wing sealer . Any picture you want just drop me a note 

graham

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

Here is 69 TR6 with correct paint. Black satin on windscreen frame and below boot lid etc. Good Luck !

A147A167-84D0-4CD5-9C02-C56E25723328_1_201_a.jpeg

Black satin on the windscreen frame or below boot lid isn't correct for a '69. It should be body colour for windscreen and matt black for the rear. Not forgetting the black along the lower part of the sills. 

Gareth

On 4/6/2021 at 9:47 AM, Mk2 Chopper said:

Black satin on the windscreen frame or below boot lid isn't correct for a '69. It should be body colour for windscreen and matt black for the rear. Not forgetting the black along the lower part of the sills. 

Gareth

Yes, this came up a year or so ago and the TR6 registrar Derek Graham supplied the Triumph document detailing the black paint spec which was used in production, it was:

ICI Matt Black air drying paint ref 062/4523 with thinners 851/222.

The matt black windscreen surround came in sometime between March & May 1969.

Bob

So many choices...

I'm taking it that originality isn't the absolute prime directive or you wouldn't change to suit Mrs PodOne. If you ever need a crowdsourced vote (there's an idea-what does the register think is the best iteration?), I'd vote: black windscreen surround (IDK why-it just looks right), black sills (it's trad and I wish my PO had done it properly), absolutely and utterly a black Kamm tail rear and remembering to matt black behind the grille.

And Mimosa Yellow bc despite my initial reservations it's really grown on me ;)

12 hours ago, matttnz said:

So many choices...

I'm taking it that originality isn't the absolute prime directive or you wouldn't change to suit Mrs PodOne. If you ever need a crowdsourced vote (there's an idea-what does the register think is the best iteration?), I'd vote: black windscreen surround (IDK why-it just looks right), black sills (it's trad and I wish my PO had done it properly), absolutely and utterly a black Kamm tail rear and remembering to matt black behind the grille.

And Mimosa Yellow bc despite my initial reservations it's really grown on me ;)

Up to me I'd keep her Damson but Yellow nah bit too bilious for my taste on any car :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:21 AM, PodOne said:

Up to me I'd keep her Damson but Yellow nah bit too bilious for my taste on any car :ph34r:

:D

It's better than "beer garden" which needs a bit more brown in it to be proper bile...

"Exorcist" is really an unforgivable pea soup colour.  Even for the 70s...

image.png.7eed192dc79a9e330b7d9efde455fb30.png

Really Interesting thread for me as an originality buff. As I have owned CP1309 (Pi) since 1972 which had only 16k on the clock when I bought it. It's build date was 6th May 1969. It's code 19 White with black interior and had the 3 pop studs on the door tops for the full Tonneau cover, and it had factory option 72 spoke wheels, and no wing mirrors. I just added an extra wide interior mirror over the original one.

The Windscreen surround was white, so I think you're a bit early Bob with your date when they painted the screen surrounds black. The back of my car was MATT black, and locked original to me (I was a Commercial Vehicle Signwriter by profession at the time so I knew my paint finishes) My car 'had' the beading between the rear wings (Fenders) and deck (Yes Andy just sandwiched in between the wing and top deck) Mine were left out after my car was repainted in 1988 as the bodyshop said to me modern sealants were better now than back then and said the paint wouldn't crack (but it did!) One problem with the beading was it allowed the return edges where the wings meet the deck edges to trap moisture and cause rot, which mine had!

I too prefer the original Damson colour together with the Tan interior, as that was featured on the the original Triumph TR6 sales brochure (albeit it had black interior and wire wheels) unlike Grahams super example with the now very rare ROstyle wheel covers. Nice one! When I was looking for a newish used 6 they were all white ones! Doh!  

Another paint detail most paintshops get wrong is the Sills ('Rocker' panels in US speak) should be painted black Stonechip with a crome strip dividing the black from the body colour. Also behind the radiator grill the visible support edging should be black not left the colour of bodywork! No doubt because the original test Prototype TR6 was White and the dirt showed through the grill, just like it did on the Kamm tail from the exhaust, which made Triumph realise they had to paint that black too! 

The TR6 decal on the rear wing flanks should be one inch from the centre of the side indicators chrome bezel! 

BTW. Just out of interest what are your CP chassis numbers Andy and Graham? 

And I have a question... what is that leather strap in the boot (Trunk) alongside the spare wheel for? I have the original Tool Roll and the Original tiny scissor Jack but neither fit whatever way I've tried! 

My car is;

Chassis No CP/26018-0

Engine CP/2605-HE

Build date 15th April 1969

Damson, Tan interior with black hood.

URX 584G love to know its history if anyone reading this.

So paint wise just to be certain!

Windscreen frame - body colour

Below the sills/rockers - Matt black 

Rear and boot lip - Matt black 

Tops of wings beads - body colour

Andy