Late TR4 Front End Rebuild

I need to ask a couple specific questions about my rebuild so it is clear in my mind before I start, the answers to which might differ based on the manufacturer of the rebuild parts in that Moss has a different approach to Rimmers, etc or something.  Not sure.  I know there are more than one kind of bush supplied (superpro vs normal poly bush vs rubber, for example).

Anyway, I bought the Major supposedly All-Included Poly Rimmer Bros rebuild kit for front end.  I also got new springs and shocks there. 

I have watched what is really the only TR4 specific rebuild videos I can find on YouTube from Alex McLeod which help a lot but I am still a little confused as he is using the superpro kit I think.

1) The poly bushes supplied for the bottom inner fulcrum pin fitting to wishbone arms are two piece, not the one piece kind that Alex M has in his video.  He goes on to say that the steel bushes on the fulcrum pins need to be pulled off as the poly bushes don't use them. Can someone confirm that with the Rimmer kit poly bushes I take off those steel bushes and don't use the nylon ones that seem to go over those if you use rubber as well?

2) For the other end where the wishbone arms attach to the trunnion, I have all the pieces except shims which did not come in the kit.  Using the poly seals that come is there anything different to be aware of?  Alex says to tighten up and back off a couple flats and he says he had to shim this connection I suppose to get the correct end play.  Can someone help me with this by saying a bit about the fitting of shims.  Will I for sure need shims?  How do I know how many to put on?  They were not in the all inclusive kit so I'll have to order if I will need them.

3) Staying on the trunnion fitting, I have the specified lockwashers with the raised center (which are not in the kit but I ordered those separately).  Those are driven on the ends of the trunnion? You drive them onto the serrated end of the trunnion or do they go on more easily as the bolt tightens?  My TR Shop Manual shows these washers themselves being serrated, calls them serrated washers, so I am a bit confused.  Any deeper explanation about that part of this would be helpful too, please.

4) still with the trunnion fitting, the shop manual shows nylon bushes there but I have the steel or brass ones which are reamed, etc.  Is this reamed bush approach a post factory thing and not done in the factory that way, they used nylon?  Alex M's video shows that tight metal on metal fit after reaming to 5/8 diameter is the goal.  

That's it for now.  Your patience and help appreciated in answering these.

Russell

Edited by RMP NC
typo

Russell

to try and answer no. 3 check out my post where I had issues with these lock washers

H

Sounds like I should use the original lock washers a skip the new ones, perhaps?  Someone had suggested using a large socket to help drive on those washers before tightening.  Not knowing how it all would fit and be spaced, I was not sure if they were initially driven then the end nut pushes them onto the splines or if it was just the nut.  Sounds like you guys just tighten it up?  Ever hear of or would it work to drive the washer on first?