Removing Chrome Strip on Hardtop

Could any one please tell me if its possible to remove and replace the chrome strip on the rear edge of the surrey roof hard top?

Mine is starting to corrode and I would like to get it treated while I sort out the channels before it all rusts away!

Many thanks Jon.

IMG_5019.JPG

IMG_5023.JPG

IMG_5006.JPG

Hi Jon,

it is held in place with a number of serious spring clips.

If you use a piece of wood ad a hammer you should be able to 'gently' knock it off.

Be very careful as these are unobtainium.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Mine was in good nick so decided to leave it on and ask the paint shop to mask it. They removed it which left me to refit it! A very kind gentleman on the forum gave me some NOS clips but it was not easy to fit.

Good luck!!
Tim

Hi Jon,

Be very, very wary, the stainless steel trim was originally filled with "Seelastik" and then pushed onto the nine steel clips.

The section shape of the trim is a closed C so it will always hold on to the clips as a last resort.

Over time the "Seelastik" will have gone rather hard, not sure if heat will soften it.

I was lucky and was able to leave the trim in place.

Regards, Richard

1856669604_SurreyTopRearTrim.thumb.png.7cace88e063d76d8ddd04b4ce2b12dcc.png

Hi Richard/Roger, many thanks for info. I'll have to have a closer when I'm back at the garage and see whether I really need to take it off. Have a paint guy looking at the car on Tuesday so will see what he thinks.

Thanks again.

Jon.

It will come off but as stated be very careful as you dont want to damage it, start at one end and just loosen it a little at a time working across, you may well find the clips have rotted out but as long as you can save a few then thats enough to re-attach it.

Stuart.