Steering column top bush

Hi all

In the course of fixing the uncommanded horn sounding issue on my car I realised part of the problem is a bit of play in the top column bush. The replacement procedure in the workshop manual is covered after complete removal of the column assembly, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't withdraw only the inner and leave the outer in place but hoping someone here can confirm.

In terms of the replacement I see Revington do an uprated version, has anyone fitted one? 

Thanks

Sean

Sean having done both top and bottom bushes outside of the car i would say that yes you could leave outer in place just to do the top bush. You could simply drill the two rubber nipples either side poking out the outer column and then drive the inner shaft upwards until the steering lock inner locator hits the bottom of the bush to drive old bush out completely- obviously you would need to disconnect the bottom of the inner shaft to do this.

54 minutes ago, michaeldavis39 said:

Maybe it is Harlequin but i prefer to do things properly - each to their own.

If you book the car in to a TR garage they will do as I suggested. I have taken columns appart to do the bottom bush and found 3 top bushes which gives no problems,if anything longer bushing will hold the column steadier.

George

Thanks both.

No steering lock on my car, it's an early one. Sounds like a slide hammer with hook should be able to pull the old one though. I'm not averse to the idea of leaving the old one in, will see how challenging it decides to be getting it out.

Thanks

Sean