TR3A: Do you know these bolts?

A Happy Easter to you all!

As an pre-Easter action I bought a joblot of nuts and bolts, packed in an old American coffee tin can (which looks a bit like an Easter egg, actually).

As far as I can see all bolts are original TR3A (AUTO, BAX, BEES, NEWTON etc.).

There are two bolts which I don't know; don't have them from my car.

Does somebody know where they are from? Hand brake, exhaust perhaps?

Both have one or two sleeves on it, the upper bolt has one metal and one rubber washer. (Lift the Dot gives the size)

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards from the Black Forest

Christian

Joblot BFO.jpg

Edited by Black Forest TR3A

If it wasn`t already the 3rd I would think April fool. Maybe its different in Germany. You are not seriously considering using them surely.

Ralph

Could it possibly be what is left of rubber bushes, meaning all rubber is gone?

Both look to have nyloc nuts so not original anyway, though the bolts may be. Think Inge is correct and bottom one looks like remains of an inner wishbone bolt and spacer.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

If it wasn`t already the 3rd I would think April fool. Maybe its different in Germany. You are not seriously considering using them surely.

Ralph

Yes, we have this in Germany, too. We call it April-Scherz. :P

But to be serious: The lower one is too damaged, but for the upper bolt it depends on how it comes out of the acid.

About two third of the screws, bolts and nuts turn out in nice (and usable) condition and after the galvanic bath have a finish like new. The bolts in the pic came out of the acid after 5 days.

IMHO it's better to use original bolts of perfect fit than to use "Made in Somewhere" bolts of "seems to fit" length or mediocre "I don't know" quality.

But it takes time and it's more expensive than buying new.

For the restoration of my car the goal is to use as much original parts as possible. And BTW: The new bolts have other markings on the head... ;)

I asked for these bolts because I wondered where they sat in the car (and as I wrote: I didn't have them under the original bolts of my car).

2 hours ago, ijonsson said:

Could it possibly be what is left of rubber bushes, meaning all rubber is gone?

I would say that it's some kind of rubber "washer" ... :unsure:

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

soak them in brick acid and they will come up like new.

Yes, I use vinegar essence (25%). It takes some time, but it removes corrosion and paint and it doesn't touch the metal.

P1160555.JPG

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Both look to have nyloc nuts so not original anyway, though the bolts may be. Think Inge is correct and bottom one looks like remains of an inner wishbone bolt and spacer.

Ralph

As the upper one is an AUTO bolt (with the correct 50ies marking) I'd say it's original TR3A. The lower one is too corroded to say.

So perhaps it comes from another car. Inner wishbone bolt is a good idea! Thank you very much!

PS: I will put the two bolts in the acid and post a picture next week... :)

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Christian,

is there a prize for getting the correct answer

perhaps a large slice of schwarzwälder kirschtorte  - yum yum

Roger

:rolleyes: Yes Roger, one of the very best things we have here in Germany! And you know: Quality of the Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte depends on the amount of Kirsch-Schnaps! :wub:

Short update: When dismantling the upper bolt I saw that it is damaged. I remember having found a similar bolt with a similar damage (and a similar small sleeve) when dismantling my car. I found it near the frame cross / handbrake in the oil mud.

It's an AUTO bolt, too. So it's original - but function is still unknown... :huh:

Bild1.jpg

5 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

+1

Item 31 here perhaps

fits through the chassis frame and supports the exhaust at the gear box mounting.

0C1AB79A-6A39-4C23-B773-9ECCBADE06D8.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hello Christian, I’m up near Frankfurt. A friend gave me this small poster in hoch Deutsche that even non-speakers can understand and which now hangs in my garage. And I have many, many bolts from TR3 A and TR3 needing the acid treatment. Paul

14350C18-5D03-4330-9500-D03F024D24D2.jpeg

On 4/5/2021 at 12:16 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Item 31 here perhaps

fits through the chassis frame and supports the exhaust at the gear box mounting.

0C1AB79A-6A39-4C23-B773-9ECCBADE06D8.jpeg

Hello Iain, hello Peter, thank you very much for this hint! I think that's it. As both bolts show the same damage this must have been a weak point (and Moss recommends the TR4-Version of this fixing)...

On 4/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, Z320 said:

Hi Christian,

where is your Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte located at, please?

Have you ever been at Wasserschloss Glatt?

Ciao, Marco

I live in Freiburg im Breisgau :)

Wasserschloss Glatt sounds interesting. It's on the other side of the Black Forest (info for the Non-Schwarzwälder)...

On 4/5/2021 at 3:18 PM, T Rusty said:

Hello Christian, I’m up near Frankfurt. A friend gave me this small poster in hoch Deutsche that even non-speakers can understand and which now hangs in my garage. And I have many, many bolts from TR3 A and TR3 needing the acid treatment. Paul

14350C18-5D03-4330-9500-D03F024D24D2.jpeg

"Blowenfusen" is very nice! It was one of the favourite obsessions of my MGB GT when I bought it 10 years ago :rolleyes:

Take you yes in eight! (German: Nimm Dich ja in acht! - Take serious care!)

1 hour ago, Black Forest TR3A said:

I live in Freiburg im Breisgau :)

Wasserschloss Glatt sounds interesting. It's on the other side of the Black Forest (info for the Non-Schwarzwälder)...

Freiburg is lovely,

indeed Wasserschloss Glatt is not at the Black Forest but "close" to it,

and the Cafe there is famous for their cakes and Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte!