New Rivets on Rear of Hood

Hi

I'd really appreciate some step by step on this please.  I have the bar off (part 4 in the pic) from the hood and need to now re-affix it, but for the life of me cant figure out how I rivet the poppers on (part 9).  What size rivet do I need, and is part 11 just a bit of rubber to stop scratching?  Also is any glue needed from part 4 to the canvas hood?  Thanks in advance

Richard

rear hood.png

The rivet is no.8 in the diagram above and is listed as 1/8" x 1/4" . I don't think it's steel as that could rust. 

You also want the washers, no.10 as these stop the rivet pulling through the frame and help if any of the holes are a bit over sized. 

No.11 is indeed a foam type cover to protect the underside of the rivet, and is probably more useful in the windscreen top mount than at the rear. 

Not in stock at Moss but all available from Rimmers.

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
Spelling

Hi

Three bodge jobs so far.  I think I found long rivets, and filed the head a bit so they fit inside the cup.  Also think my rivet squeezer or guns nozzle is too wide, maybe I try with some small waster in between the nozzle and the rivet.

Thanks

Richard

Yes I've made up a simple spacer with a similar method before. I think I got stainless rivets if I remember rightly. 

Gareth

Hi all

Sunday success!

Here is some info, for those needing to do this.

1.  Under the metal bar, put some sticky back rubber, to stop scratching of the hood cover or rivets to body

2. Issue I had was head on rivet was too big for female part of popper, so I filed it down, until the flange on the head fitted inside the popper.  This is important!

3.  The rivet head goes through the female popper, through hood material, through metal bar, through other side of hood material then is topped off with a correct fitting washer

4.  The rivet gun I had, the head is too big so I put some tiny washers along rivet shaft

5.  Few squeezes and ,pop, followed by a garage dance!