Does this mean anything to anyone. I've searched on the forum but I cannot find any information. I assume it's a plate that confirms the design number (ie this is the third generation or update) anyone know for certain what it means. 

IMG_20210402_114427.jpg

Thanks gents, it is indeed a 1959 car, it's actually just before 60000 (just a few before) and it has the post 60000 body as well. I have no idea if it's all original or not. Obviously the numbering system is not as straight forward as I assumed, ie ZA1, ZA2, ZA3....... 

Neil

23 hours ago, Lebro said:

Z PLAQUES.doc 134 kB · 22 downloads

ZA3 appears to be a post 60000 commision number chassis made in 1959

Bob.

Hi Bob,

Am I to assume that chassis numbers were used at different times, or does the attachment examples indicate a later chassis has been used in a restoration.

Z28 appears from TS2169L up to later 3As. Likewise Z24 has been used from very early to very late in sidescreen production.

This data was collated by a French Tr enthusiast. All one can really assume is that the chassis plates are those on the cars at the time of the survey. Whether they are original to the car is anyone’s guess, although trends do appear.
I supplied data on three cars all original matching numbers cars. An unrestored Tr2 was Z24, my early 3a is a Z28 and with the works modifications it has I believe to be original and finally a slightly later 3a was Z29, again an unrestored matching numbers car.

Iain

My understanding from people I have spoken to over the years, also information gleaned from Bill Piggott's Original TR book (page 78), is that the first 1400 chassis were built by Standard Triumph.

After this point, the chassis were externally source from various companies. Bill's book mentions Sankeys, Rubery Owen and John Thompson. I know Sankeys from buying steel in the building industry. They made almost anything that was made of metal, including wheels and tractor chassis.

I always understood it was these companies who put the plate on, so maybe it was to identify which supplier had made a particular chassis, if there was a problem.

Does anybody have a sub 1400 car to prove or disprove this?

Simon