Welcome to the forum 'Ariel' - do you have a name we can use?  If so you can add it as a signature in your profile if you wish. 

An A type overdrive solenoid draws about 16Amps initially to pull in and then about 1 Amp continuous to hold in once the internal contact has opened. 

Edited by RobH

Rob is correct - this is my note from a few years ago!

Today (25/05/09), I made some measurements on a brand new, spare, overdrive solenoid which I bought from Moss some time ago. I think it is fair to assume that it was built to the same specification as the original Lucas item.

Pull-in (Pull-in and Hold-in coils in parallel) 0.8 ohms, drawing about 15-17 amps.

Hold-in (pull-in circuit disconnected by plunger operating the switch within the top of the solenoid) 12.5 ohms, drawing about 1 amp.

For the technically-minded, this means that the Pull-in coil has a resistance of about 0.85 ohms, and takes about 14-16 amps.

The current drawn will depend upon the state of charge of the battery, which is usually between 12-13.4 volts.

Ian Cornish

Yes there should be a relay Wali and if this switch is just a replacement for an existing one there ought to be a relay there already. The circuit for an A type overdrive looks like this:

od.thumb.jpg.6f5edd576ae4e9dc7dba6e284efb4409.jpg