I use them to set mixrure in motorcycles with multiple carbs, allow the idle mix to be set consistently across cylinders.

can see a colortune , or pair of them as Ian says, would be helpful in setting mixture on a two carb TR

I went the whole hog & got hold of 4, very good for getting two carbs syncronised mixture wise. Once setup you may find it necessary to weaken or richen to get good running together with good MPG, but as long as you adjust both carbs by the same amount you know they are still in sync.

Best used without the black shrouds on, but in a dark place, and don't forget to clean them afterwards inside.

Bob.

10 hours ago, Lebro said:

I went the whole hog & got hold of 4, very good for getting two carbs syncronised mixture wise. Once setup you may find it necessary to weaken or richen to get good running together with good MPG, but as long as you adjust both carbs by the same amount you know they are still in sync.

Best used without the black shrouds on, but in a dark place, and don't forget to clean them afterwards inside.

Bob.

On the subject of cleaning them, I find the little brush supplied to be useless, but have found a quick spray with an aerosol of carb cleaner cleans them like new in seconds.

Ralph

Thanks all for the responses.

With a TR3 twin-carb setup and to those who have one unit, do you use it in all cylinders consequetitively?

To those with two units do you do it in pairs consequestively e.g. 1 & 3 and then 4 & 2 or ?

With 4 I guess its the best and quickest.

John

I use mine in no`s 1 & 4.   If using one it should still be possible, but you would have to set front carb with colortune in no 1, and when that is right move it to no4 and set the back carb, moving to no1 again to make sure altering the back carb has not unduly disturbed the front mixture. You may have to do this several times. Much easier with 2.

Ralph

Am I missing something? I have just been looking on ebay and there is only one new 14mm colourtune on there, which has reached £78 already, but there seem to be lots of adapter kits. Does one now have to buy a 10mm thread colourtune and then purchase the relevant 14mm adapter?    Glad I was given my two about ten years ago by a chap clearing out his fathers garage that used to run an MGB.

Ralph

I’m not so convinced, they can help with a no load setup but to get a true indication of mixture through the Rev range you need a rolling road session. Based on that eBay price, you would pay for an hour on an RR!

Iain

It's all been said above but I can't resist endorsing the use of at least two (in 1 and 4). As we move into a world with more ethanol these devices will permit better settings as 'counting the flats' is unlikely to be reliable, if it ever was.  I use an air flow meter at the same time to ensure that jet setting changes don't upset the relative air volumes. For those that are going to brave E10 then accurate mixture setting is even more important to help keep exhaust temperatures down.

An advantage of twin carbs is that if, for the same Colourtune based settings, the carbs need to be adjusted significantly differently then it's a good indication something is not OK. You can also note the effect of replacing the air filters after tuning, if it gets richer then they probably need cleaning or replacing.

Lastly, a relatively low cost Halfords CO2 monitor in the exhaust helps confirm all is normal for my car.

MJ