Wire wheel balancing in Yorkshire

10 hours ago, Deggers said:

Hi Brian,

Can't help with a tyre fitter, but if you're planning to run with wires for the foreseeable, MWS stock a balancing cone set.

Kaba1.jpg.64b56edaf275bd58cfde61aa833bd8e9.jpg

Here's a link : MWS Kabal Tool

And a guide to wire wheel balancing : MWS Balancing

Good luck,

Cheers, Deggers

These look like the job, but at £216 a bit expensive for what may be a one-off job? My other TR has wires, and I've only had them balanced once in 8 years...

10 hours ago, AndrewMAshton said:

C&S Tyres Middlesbrough, the owner races a TR4, a very satisfied customer, cheers, Andrew

Thanks Andrew, rather a long way from Wetherby but if I get stuck....

I think its been said before but it would be handy if we could put together a list of fitters that have the kit.

The MG spares cones referred to above still require a tyre fitter with a bit of nous to make them work.

Rgds Ian

PS Not Yorkshire, but my local tyre fitter in Frome has the kit to balance wire wheels and has staff trained in how to use it.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:33 AM, Ian Vincent said:

The MG spares cones referred to above still require a tyre fitter with a bit of nous to make them work.

Rgds Ian

PS Not Yorkshire, but my local tyre fitter in Frome has the kit to balance wire wheels and has staff trained in how to use it.

Hi Ian, Could you let me know who you use in Frome, I live in Bath and it would be very handy to know a local company that can do this. Thanks Jon

8 minutes ago, signalredshaker said:

Longstone Tyres don't seem to use dynamic balancing- just a steel mount so the wheel is horizontal with a spirit level bubble in the middle.

Good tyre supplier though.

James

Yep and it works they check and adjust the wires as it should be done 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keith, I hadn't thought of them.

As it happens, yesterday I took the car in to my local garage, who are experienced with classics, for an 'MoT-type check'. First time on the road, apart from a couple of runs round the block, since 1973 I believe. The mechanic that tested it said the tyres were fine, despite being around 23 years old. Firestone F560s. There's no visible degradation apart from some fine cracks between the treads, which he said weren't a problem. It probably helped that the car has been stored in a dry garage on wheel skids since they were fitted in 1997.

I assumed I'd have to change them, but since I don't intend going very far or very fast for a while I'm inclined to leave them on for now.

27 minutes ago, Brian Eldred said:

I assumed I'd have to change them, but since I don't intend going very far or very fast for a while I'm inclined to leave them on for now.

It isn't visible cracking you need to worry about Brian - its lack of grip because the rubber has aged and gone hard, and possible internal degradation which might become evident if you drive any distance on them.  

Good luck with explaining your thinking to your insurance company if you are involved in an accident.  

32 minutes ago, RobH said:

It isn't visible cracking you need to worry about Brian - its lack of grip because the rubber has aged and gone hard, and possible internal degradation which might become evident if you drive any distance on them.  

Good luck with explaining your thinking to your insurance company if you are involved in an accident.  

Hi Rob,

That's what I thought too. So how come an MoT tester thinks differently? The rubber doesn't 'feel' any harder than much newer tyres on my other car.

OK I'm convinced! I kind of was anyway, just surprised at what the MoT guy said. 

To return to the topic, I'll call The Motorist at Sherburn on Monday. If no go I remember a place in Malton that was recommended by Malton Coachworks.

The Motorist at Sherburn doesn't have the kit. They recommend Longstone Tyres, who as well as being rather a long way away are v expensive compared with Camskills (Vredenstein Sport Classic at £163 v £116.) By the way when did tyre prices go up so much? I bought the same Vredensteins for my other car in 2015 for £63 each.

Elsey Tyres at Malton don't either, but says they use a standard inner cone and a rubber outer cone that locates on the spokes (??) and have fitted and balanced lots of wire wheels including for customers of Malton Coachworks. That's where I had the other set fitted in 2015 and they have been fine since.

Brian

Hi Brian, I was at my local tyre shop last week getting new boots on the wife’s Golf, I asked the guy if they could balance wires and he said yes. They are a good outfit, I recall a group member had his Jag 4 wheel aligned a few years ago. The company is Link Tyres in Mirfield, give them a call. No affiliation, just a long term customer.

Ian