TR7 1977 - Indicators not working

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me.....

I have a 1977 4 speed TR7 and recently switched the hazzard warning light switch to on at the same time that the indicator was on. Before i did this both worked fine - now neither of them work! Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, the fuse box at the back of the glovebox has 4 fuses. I can't see anywhere in the Haynes manual or on-line that lists what each fuse controls. Can anyone help! 

Welcome to the forum Chris.

The indicator switchery is shown on page 3 here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0OCjgNgn85aOEdlYWp6dnFfc2s/view

if it all went t**s up when you operated the hazard switch it is possible that is the culprit as the normal indicators are fed through it.  Switching while the indicators were operating shouldn't be a problem - the hazard switch removes power from the indicators (top contact) and makes a parallel connection to the lights with the other three contacts. 

The indicators are shown as being fed from the same fuse as the brake lights and reversing light so if those are working the fuse must be OK. 

Thanks for the feedback Rob. Much appreciated!

Just about to get the TR7 on the road for the summer but to be honest car electrics are my weak point! 

The brake lights are fine so as you say the fuse must be fine.

The bulbs are fine too.

If the flasher unit has gone, would this prevent the indicators and hazard lights working?

Thanks again.

Well for both the hazards and indicators to pack up you would need two failures as they have separate flasher units. The only common point I can see is the hazard switch itself.  If you can locate the indicators flasher unit you could check it gets 12V with the ignition on and the hazard switch off. 

I agree with Rob. As interest the TR7 switches are well known for giving problems. You can use a switch cleaner or if that doesn't cure then dissemble the switch then clean.  

Dave

The updated version of the drawing that RobH posted the link to can be found here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vUaJEVBJ__gNawP9v4OjaUItaUJntVzk/view?usp=sharing

It is for the 12 fuse later versions, but it includes full details of the operation of the headlight motor / flash system and various other useful information so you may want to download this copy for your use.

I am currently slowly working on another revision that will add all the wiring connectors which will be posted in due course

Cheers

Howard

Rob, No problem at all :) I just wanted to let people know about the updated version. Its just nice to know that it is useful to other

I produced the original for my own use since my 7 has modified electrics which were a mess. Using the base drawing, I then altered it to show the actual wiring on my car which makes fault finding a lot easier.

Many thanks Rob / Howard for taking the time out to help. Much appreciated.

Removed the hazard flasher (back of the glovebox), cleaned the spade terminals and refitted it. Hey presto!! Both the hazards and the indicators now work fine!! 

I'm good to go now!

I have a couple of minor issues to sort out (fuel gauge and rev counter not working) but nothing that will stop me hitting the road!!

Best Regards,

Chris