Having fired up the engine for the first time I find I have a leak/weep from the fuel inlet spigot/ferrule where it fits intto the lid.

This unit was restored/echanged by Burlen back in 2014 and has been in its wrapping and box ever since awaiting use. I have emailed Burlen for advice but as I wait for that I wonder if this has been experienced by any owner and what was the solution?

Pic attached 

John

Rear carb.jpg

John.

Firstly, are you sure the leak is from the brass to ali casting joint, & not sneaking out from the hose to brass ?

I ask because jubilee clips are not the best to use on fuel piping, even the small ones.

Otherwise this is unusual, & I would get Burlins to replace them.

Bob.

John, I echo Bob's thoughts. Some time ago I changed all the rubber fuel hoses on my 4A to Goodyear SAE30 R9 spec. I had no issues with the 5/16" hose but I found that the 1/4" (6.4mm inside diameter) was just too loose a fit on the carb inlets and outlets and jubilee clips would not give a leak free seal. I found that hose of 5.6mm i.d. is specifically recommended for VWs with 6mm fittings. I obtained some in R9 spec from www.machine7.com  A tiny smear of rubber grease on the carburettor connections enabled this hose to slip on easily and my problem was solved. You can clearly see the difference between the two hoses in the accompanying picture.

I would like to think it very unlikely that a Burlen restored item would leak.

Tim

Comparison of hoses.JPG

I revisited this issue today. After changing the clip and testing it is the same. It is definitely the body where the ferrule is inserted.

Burlen responded, not very helpful, basically "buy a new one". I find that Burlen in its responses to me is arrogant!

I guess that comes from having a captive market. 

John

It is over 15 years since I had any dealing with Burlen and their reported attitude appals me. OK John it is 7 years since you received the unit from them but it has had no use since and must be in the same state as when you received it from them, are you being sufficiently forceful I wonder.

Tim

Bob & Tim,

I have bitten the bitter bullet and ordered a replacement.

When I get that I will play around with the removed one to try and discover what is wrong. Could be porosity.

I'm also unsure of adhesives and ethanol, last thing I need is a failure in service with attendant risks.

Tim, when you cannot identify and speak to whoever is leading a particular company, it is hard to be "firm" with an employee as he/she may just be following policy so I just "moved on" and "coughed up" it is what seems the online world expects nowadays, not what I was taught in terms of customer service.

However, if an alternative appears I will be there in a flash!

John

15 hours ago, John Reilly said:

Bob & Tim,

I have bitten the bitter bullet and ordered a replacement.

When I get that I will play around with the removed one to try and discover what is wrong. Could be porosity.

I'm also unsure of adhesives and ethanol, last thing I need is a failure in service with attendant risks.

Tim, when you cannot identify and speak to whoever is leading a particular company, it is hard to be "firm" with an employee as he/she may just be following policy so I just "moved on" and "coughed up" it is what seems the online world expects nowadays, not what I was taught in terms of customer service.

However, if an alternative appears I will be there in a flash!

John

Wait till the new one arrives, then send the "old" new one back explaining it is faulty and ask for your money back.

Ralph

• 2 weeks later...