AA HIP QUESTION!

Hi All,

I m hoping some of you will have first hand experience of how long you had to wait to get back behind the wheel of your TR following a total hip replacement. My op was left hip on 8th March

Best wishes     Willie

Welcome to the club Willie.  I cannot  remember when i got back driving the TR  but it was about 2 months before i  was back driving the everyday car.( I have had both hips done 6 months apart.)

Before I had the replacements I was having trouble getting into the 4 with the original seats. They were uncomfortable and did not slide back and forth to easily.

I switched for a pair of Mx5 seats and  and were easy to slide and  comfortable. My way of getting in was to sit in backwards slide the lever and push seat back and  gain enough distance to enable the left leg to clear the window and door handles. ( mine is RHD ) It helps to have to have a plastic bag  to sit on as it is easier to twist and turn.

During recuperation I had learned a lot about ingress  and egress using a plastic bag being a passenger in the family car going for appointments etc.

If i remember correctly i had to have roof off during my first attempts as i was able to stand up and gingerly put my left foot in whilst holding on tightly to seat back and screen, I also had my missus oversee the manoeuvres,  Daily phsyo excerises walking etc were a prerequisite to recovery. and 10 years on i am well .

Due to Covit 19 and lockdown i am doing more walking than driving.

Good Luck with your recovery and stay safe.

Sean.

3 hours ago, Willie said:

Hi All,

I m hoping some of you will have first hand experience of how long you had to wait to get back behind the wheel of your TR following a total hip replacement. My op was left hip on 8th March

Best wishes     Willie

Hi Willie,

3 weeks for the auto Saab. 4 weeks for the TR4A

How old are you. I was 61 at the time and recovered very quickly.

Roger

Hi Willies

I waited for three months before driving the TR, however my replacement hip was my right and I had my operation on 1st December, so no real incentive until the weather got better. My surgeon said I could go back to driving when I felt like it so I was driving our moderns on short journeys before two months.

Like Roger I was 61 when I had mine done.

Dave

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses....useful tips.  I'm 70 in early May but have in my favour slight build and only 5'6" tall before I shrank! Exactly 3 weeks in, and I am without sticks round the house & garden. One crutch for now on longer trips out.  The car has a backlight, but I removed the surrey before the op.

Willie

i think the rule is 6 weeks. They also say do not sit in low sports cars or any low seating.

i was told that dvla are informed and insurance would be void for that period.May be they were aware that i had asked about doing a race in 8 weeks which they said would be 6 months at least.

It was 6 weeks for me spot on.  At 4 weeks i couldn't push the clutch pedal down in the bmw so knew they were talking sense .

Roy