I am looking for wing nuts to replace the knurled nut that holds the instruments in the TR3 dashboard. My supplier has my pattern and has advised that it is a metric thread. How did that happen in 1958 ??

9 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

I am looking for wing nuts to replace the knurled nut that holds the instruments in the TR3 dashboard. My supplier has my pattern and has advised that it is a metric thread. How did that happen in 1958 ??

Done to stop British motorists popping down the road to an iron mongers for replacements probably.  Same happens with old British bicycle threads

Thanks Peter, I found some stainless steel wing nuts in M4 which were £1.75 delivered for 10. from Kayfast Ltd in Wakefield.  They were supposed to arrive before Tuesday and were delivered today by the postman. Great value, quality product but will not fit the thread on the fuel gauge. It will start but only about 1 turn. 

How can we find the real thread ???

Richard & B

Richard,

Until Roger H comes along, I would suggest that you run a 2BA tap through one of your wing nuts. This is the size on my 4.

Graham

Mine were definately a BA thread. I thought they were 3BA but that would be about 3.9mm shaft, 2BA is 4. 5mm shaft so based on your M4 nuts only going on a turn its probably a 3BA. I couldn't find a wing nut in BA when I was looking so I tapped them. A lot easier with wing nuts, just don't over tighten. 

Neil

Edited by NCS_TR3A

Looking on ebay there seems to be a lot of 2BA instrument nuts, although there is one that's M5 x 0.75 tread (which is slight odd as M5 is 0.8) so I might have totally the wrong memory on this

Edited by NCS_TR3A

Sorry to add yet another post but I went looking for the answer rather than relying on memory. I quite often use SC parts site for things like this as they tend to tell you the thread on the items unlike Moss. 

https://www.scparts.co.uk/sc_en/british-cars/triumph/triumph-tr2-to-tr4a-1953-1967/electrics-ignition-system-heating-and-dashboard/instruments-tr2-tr3-tr3a-and-tr3b.html

Based on this it should be a 3BA which is what I remember mine being as well. 

Neil

Edited by NCS_TR3A