Temperature Gauge Repairs

Hello!

Can anyone recommend someone in the UK who repairs TR3a temperature gauge please?

My 3rd temperature gauge has stopped working. In the past i have used one of the main TR parts suppliers, who sell reconditioned gauges on an exchange basis. However, I have lost confidence in their supplier so am looking to find another. Additionally, I would prefer not to go with an exchange, as I have found slight differences in font style and the one I have now matches the other gauges perfectly.

Ideally, I am looking for someone who will restore mine. Any input gratefully received.

Thanks,

Ian

Speedograph Richfield do repairs as do The Gauge Shop.  Caerbont Automotive Instruments (Smiths) will sell you a new one -they don't mention repairs on their website but they might pehaps....

Perhaps you should also investigate why they break Ian, as that shouldn't be a regular thing.  Is the capillary tube under stress or subject to undue vibration the way you have it installed ?

Thanks Rob. The capillary tube wasn't an issue. Both previous gauges leaked where the bulb was soldered. I.e. owering the bulb into a glass of hot water to boil the alcohol, causes gas to be expelled at the end of the bulb 

This is how it looks at the solder end. The previous one from the same supplier failed in the same place.

20210330_162959.thumb.jpg.89db1cc6f6dc140612a11f9461c75bd7.jpg

The photo is a bit out of focus in close-up but that looks to me as though a substantial 'scab' of solder has fallen off, and it doesn't look to have made a good joint to the tinned metal underneath. A 'dry joint' typical of not having the parts hot enough and not using flux ?

Edited by RobH

in the past i have used new purchases from the TR shop which were fine.  I hope these were not the ones you have had problems with.

Roy