Main bearings for '69 PI

Well, I'm getting to the point where shortly I'll be starting to rebuild my '69 PI engine, so am ordering parts. I need +.010 main bearings (as well as CR bearings), and am trying to source Vendervell, which may or may not be possible (I'm in contact with Basil Adams). Among the other possibilities are King, Glyco and AEM. I have read there can be dimension issues with King, so does the board have a consensus on which would be my best choice if I can't get the Venderwell?

Thanks in advance,

Blair

37 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Blair,

get in contact with Revington. They had new bearings made by Mahle  -  (to the Vandervell spec I believe)

Roger

Mahle bought Hepolite and Vandervell  or what was left of them, as I have been told along with the tooling. Mahle products for a TR6 are not cheap. A TR6 +20 piston is £120 ea. + VAT and I was told that was a discounted price to me???

Bruce.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Blair,

get in contact with Revington. They had new bearings made by Mahle  -  (to the Vandervell spec I believe)

Roger

It's Revington that's currently offering only the King - according to its web site. I sent an email to inquire about Mahle. Thanks!

Yes, ordered the expensive ones and got the Kings for the expensive price.

They said as excuse the expensive ones are sold out. Told them that Chris Witor offers them for 25gbp and this was the last offer I gave to them.

Currently I am driving the expensive ones from Revington after I had the Tri Metal Kings fitted. Just from the oil pressure no difference.

Besides the problem that King stamps them badly, they have County on them and no hint that they are Tri Metals, they are fully okay.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Mahle bought Hepolite and Vandervell  or what was left of them, as I have been told along with the tooling. Mahle products for a TR6 are not cheap. A TR6 +20 piston is £120 ea. + VAT and I was told that was a discounted price to me???

Bruce.

I have just come back from my local motor factor! I asked the question about shell bearings and he said go to a company called: Engine Parts (UK) Ltd on the east side of London tel:01708 890494. they have a vast stock of bearings from the good quality makes including Glyco, Mahle & Vandervell. Did not know if they will deal direct?

Bruce.

26 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

I have just come back from my local motor factor! I asked the question about shell bearings and he said go to a company called: Engine Parts (UK) Ltd on the east side of London tel:01708 890494. they have a vast stock of bearings from the good quality makes including Glyco, Mahle & Vandervell. Did not know if they will deal direct?

Bruce.

They certainly have a very nice website.

Roger

I ordered my Glyco’s from (I think) Rimmers. Still have a new set of Kings on the shelve, bought from Wittor, and concur with Andreas above. 

IF you buy Kings, ask the shop that will grind your crankshaft to first measure the bores of the new shells (installed and torqued), so they can adjust their final dimensions to give an acceptable clearance (per the WSM). 

Waldi

4 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

Yes, ordered the expensive ones and got the Kings for the expensive price.

They said as excuse the expensive ones are sold out. Told them that Chris Witor offers them for 25gbp and this was the last offer I gave to them.

Currently I am driving the expensive ones from Revington after I had the Tri Metal Kings fitted. Just from the oil pressure no difference.

Besides the problem that King stamps them badly, they have County on them and no hint that they are Tri Metals, they are fully okay.

An engine m/c shop near me said that King sizing is suspect and you do not grind the crank until you have checked them first.

Bruce.

Let us not forget that TR 5/6 individual BE and Main shells are the same as Spitfire mk4 1300 and 1500 and MG Midget 1500.  The internet often offers Vandervell shells for the 4 cylinder engines and not the TR.  Spitfire owners buy on price rather than historic quality.   You would need 3 Spitfire/MG engine  packs of bearings to service 2 TR engines.

Historically Cox & Buckles bought Spitfire shell sets made by Vandervell for workshop use.  Seldom were they sold over the counter as customers squeaked if they received 1  sealed box and 1/2 an open box of Spitfire shells.

Peter W