Formula 1 is Back!

Excited at the prospect of another season starting.

What about the senario, that racing is closer than in previous seasons, Red Bull are contenders

but ultimately Mercedes and Lewis Triumph.

Lewis is crowned undoubted greatest of all time, and retires in

Triumph?

John.

10% Downforce reductions do not seem to have affected laptimes so far in testing. I loved the driving on sand, must have given the engineers nightmares, but a boost for air filter sales. Yuki Tsunoda making a good debut so far but we need racing to sort out the real pecking order of cars and drivers. 

Honda engine changes for Red Bull:-

Alan

Edited by barkerwilliams

Cannot wait to be underway again .  This weekend we will see the true positions in standings and just who has found something new.

Be good to see how the new boys do.

Roy

13 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

*an unnamed driver* drove like a god today. 

(Edited. By Tim)

In a mysterious way?

I found the radio com fascinating. 

Part way through the race Max radio'd to say other drivers were going wide on one corner which was not allowed during Qualifying.

The pit came back to say that it was allowed during the race.

Short time later the rules were changed and it was no longer allowed to go 4 wheels over the kerb

And then almost at the end Max went over the kerb and passed Louis. He then gave up his position but could not recover.

So the only person to complain/query the kerb issue was actually penalised for breaching it.

Funny old world.

Roger

Nearly an interesting race, mainly because of the uncertainty of how the new Honda engine would fare and the apparent confusion on whether or not the 'no 4 wheels over the white line rule applies' to all the teams  . . .

Pity most passing takes place as a result of DRS, although there were just a few instances of being a little brave and taking the outside line around a corner in association with taking advantage of the early tyre change undercut.

The DRS capability really does distort the purity of racing in my humble view.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Four great races in,

best season so far for years.

John.

Quite so.

I am not the greatest fan of F1 as it has been so very boring for many years. 

However Hamilton has brought a new expectation to it and the races have, recently, become exciting.

The last couple of races has shown Max's & Redbull's inexperience.  To be pipped at the post on consecutive races mus be galling.

Well done Lewis & Merc

Roger

TV's Channel Four billed his Spanish victory as one for Mercedes' tactical strategy, of  two pitstops.   But for goodness sake, Hamilton was overhauling Verstappen by two seconds a lap over the last ten laps!    He's a phenomenon.

JOhn  

It’s notable in racing that equalising the cars performance somehow equates to much more exiting racing... who’d have thought it !

Unhappily when the gremlins are again banished from Mercedes we’ll likely see normality resume. Maybe the German tourin g cars and other series who add additional weight to regular winning cars would give more permanent exiting racing.

Mick Richards

It’s certainly looking to be a better season. 

but I think the powers that be will not make radical changes this year on the expectation that Lewis will become a record breaking champion.

and I suppose to change qualifying on Lewis’s home gp is an expectation he will still win at home both the qualifying race and the main race. Or will enough of the other races.

https://www.silverstone.co.uk/news/silverstone-host-first-sprint-qualifying-2021-formula-1-british-grand-prix

I have been watching the F1 on Channel 4, I know they are edited highlights but is the video feed from the circuit now a single feed for all countries / channels to use? I just get the impression that the assembling  of the video from all the camera streams  by the producer / director does not have the quality of production of previous years.

Alan

Even when St.Murray was at the mike (definitely not in the chair!) he didn't have control of the video feed, but he would comment on what we were seeing as well as keeping his eye on what he could see, and we couldn't.

But yesterday's GP was marked on two occasions by commentators rabbiting about a pitstop, while we watched a procession along the course.   Can they SEE what we see, or just not bother?

3 hours ago, barkerwilliams said:

I have been watching the F1 on Channel 4, I know they are edited highlights but is the video feed from the circuit now a single feed for all countries / channels to use? I just get the impression that the assembling  of the video from all the camera streams  by the producer / director does not have the quality of production of previous years.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I believe that there is a central provider of the main feed, but I know that there are also alternatives that can be viewed or chosen (either by the local broadcaster or, in some cases, the viewer).

We get the Sky coverage here in Canada and it would be interesting to watch the race on both Sky and C4 to see what, if anything, is different in the race broadcast.

On the subject of the race itself, I'm with John - Lewis is other-worldly.

Tim

I found this segment, yesterday, enlightening with Hamilton talking about building a qualifying lap.  First, I was fascinated by how the various little pieces of a lap are individually built and only at the end joined together to create the finished puzzle.  Second, the notion of having to use different driving styles for different corners or parts of the track is interesting - this is also why someone with his level of experience now is better than he was when he just had the raw speed.

Anyway, I liked it.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/12301640/hamilton-the-qualy-masterclass

Tim,

Yes an enjoyable clip, I particularly liked his dismissal of visualisation, walking the track, simulators whatever, just believing in getting out there and doing the job. 

Staying with the same team for many years and being part of the development of the whole package and truly knowing the car has proven results. Used to be called company loyalty, thing of the past though in nearly every walk of life, now it seems to be all about building the CV.

Old folks really do deliver better than the youngsters if they can keep their reaction times - sorry Sebastian.

Alan

1 hour ago, TorontoTim said:

I found this segment, yesterday, enlightening with Hamilton talking about building a qualifying lap.  First, I was fascinated by how the various little pieces of a lap are individually built and only at the end joined together to create the finished puzzle.  Second, the notion of having to use different driving styles for different corners or parts of the track is interesting - this is also why someone with his level of experience now is better than he was when he just had the raw speed.

Anyway, I liked it.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/f1/12301640/hamilton-the-qualy-masterclass

Enjoyed this Tim,

thanks for posting.

John.

• 4 months later...