Tr3 vs Tr6 real world performance

Hi all

A good friend of mine up the road has a CR TR6 running carbs and we're planning a short run together next week. 

We're limited to 10km as the crow flies from our homes here so we have to be creative with the route. 

Its not going to be a race / rally but I'm curious how much quicker a car with 50% more cylinders and 20 fewer years will outperform mine in a straight line. 

My engine is supposedly a 2.2 with a mild fast road cam. His is stock. 

I have the weight advantage but he'll have the torque gods on his side. 

Do you think the 3 can hold it's ground? 

Very close if you are talking 60mph max road speeds.

Mick Richards

7 minutes ago, EliTR6 said:

So after two decades of development the only real improvements are IRS and wind-up windows? :D

I'm still not convinced about that damn new fangled IRS myself lol, and don't get me started on the reducing MPG figures. 

Mick Richards

Good fun !

11 hours ago, EliTR6 said:

Do you think the 3 can hold its ground? 

I think the question is whether the 6 can hold its ground ?   The three ought to be quicker off the mark and more nimble around tight bends, whereas the six ought to be longer legged and its torque is an advantage when hauling up long hills.   The better compromise to both is of course a TR4 and 4A's.  :ph34r:

:D

34 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Good fun !

I think the question is whether the 6 can hold its ground ?   The three ought to be quicker off the mark and more nimble around tight bends, whereas the six ought to be longer legged and its torque is an advantage when hauling up long hills.   The better compromise to both is of course a TR4 and 4A's.  :ph34r:

:D

but so much more weight

As I drive one of each, I have compared their characteristics over many trips and thousands of miles. The TR3 feels like an old car, the body roll, cut down doors and exposure to side winds gives you a greater sense of the road and environment. However, the lower weight gives it agility and the lower power and torque does not give noticeable poorer acceleration. It is smooth, quiet and comfortable for long distance touring. I chose not to upgrade the suspension as I like the old car feel. The TR6 feels much more like a modern car, tighter in the bends, it behaves and sounds like a hairy, macho machine that gives great feedback to the driver. It is always a delight to give it a good thrashing and makes you feel really good but a bit of a hooligan.

In driving my TR3 with my mates TR6's when we get a little competitive, their TR6's make a great deal of noise and look spectacular under hard acceleration, whilst I keep up with them calmly and quietly and certainly burn a lot less fuel with less effort and noise.

Which is better, neither, they are just different. I love both.

Mick

On 3/27/2021 at 12:18 PM, Mick Forey said:

As I drive one of each, I have compared their characteristics over many trips and thousands of miles. The TR3 feels like an old car, the body roll, cut down doors and exposure to side winds gives you a greater sense of the road and environment. However, the lower weight gives it agility and the lower power and torque does not give noticeable poorer acceleration. It is smooth, quiet and comfortable for long distance touring. I chose not to upgrade the suspension as I like the old car feel. The TR6 feels much more like a modern car, tighter in the bends, it behaves and sounds like a hairy, macho machine that gives great feedback to the driver. It is always a delight to give it a good thrashing and makes you feel really good but a bit of a hooligan.

In driving my TR3 with my mates TR6's when we get a little competitive, their TR6's make a great deal of noise and look spectacular under hard acceleration, whilst I keep up with them calmly and quietly and certainly burn a lot less fuel with less effort and noise.

Which is better, neither, they are just different. I love both.

Mick

Thanks for the insights Mick 

It's true that the 3 doesn't squat like the 6 when you press hard on the loud pedal. 

My mpg is pretty poor as I'm only doing short trips with lots of roundabouts and priorités à droite and I'm always hooning it on the straight sections between intersections. 

I think I'm taking this imaginary rivalry a bit too far... :huh:

Can't do this with a 4, 5 or 6 can you? B)

PXL-20210328-151927440.jpg

I also have both and as someone mentioned the performance is comparable at least up to 60mph. I am however willing to drive the TR6 a lot faster just because of the modern steering and suspension, more comfortable interior and driving position and less buffeting from the wind. The TR3 gets pretty uncomfortable at speeds above 50mph with the top down while the TR6 is good for up to 90 mph with the top down and the windows up. Love driving them both.

Stan

Just enjoy the run out Eli (and let us know how it works out)

2019 (when we could go to car meets at the pub) I ended up following a 1.9 205gti it’s rural country lanes so relatively low speed and I was more than keeping up even when it became obvious he was trying.  We had a good chat when we got there and he realised my car was 1959. Stay safe and enjoy.

IMG-20210330-WA0013.jpg

Well that was fun! I think the only real performance difference was down to the bigger cojones of the tr6 driver. 

I'll post some videos and photos later. 

The only Brown trousers moment was when we stumbled upon a gendarmerie roadblock. Luckily they were stopping cars driving in the opposite direction!

Eli

Where is your roll bar padding from !

gendarmerie roadblock ! That’s not what you want to come across when out for a nice scenic drive ............

30 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Eli

Where is your roll bar padding from !

gendarmerie roadblock ! That’s not what you want to come across when out for a nice scenic drive ............

I've got this padding https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331971694760  under this cover https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351976778195. One single piece is good for covering 1m of rollbar and most sets contain 2 pieces which is all I needed 

Apologies for the crappy video but here's a fun segment from this morning (from 2:20 Mark ish) 

Bob you know it will have been the 3

you only have to look at that aero screen driving experience 

nice open and quiet roads. 

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Well, what the conclusion TR6 verses TR3 ?

Bob.

We didn't drive each others cars but I I must admit that the roar of the straight six is very appealing. I'm just glad both cars performed faultlessly on the run. We both pushed them hard and spent most of the open stuff at 60-70mph and even nudged 80 which felt like take-off speed with the aeroscreen! 

The 6 clearly has longer legs and would be better suited to civilised touring. My wife would prefer it for sure. But it terms of pure thrills it's hard to beat the vintage sidescreen experience. And I can't imagine cruising down motorways in any classic car if they can be avoided. We've got gorgeous empty ish roads all over here and they're péage free! 

Driving a car that's 65yo, starts on the button and can more than keep up with modern traffic is plain brilliant. 

The only thing I'm really jealous of is my mate's hair!