Overrider dent repair

So I think I have decided to get the rear bumper re-chromed, It's pretty good and straight but I have one annoying dent in one overrider. Particularly awkward to get to with the mounting bracket in the way of access to the back of the dent; any neat tricks to knocking out dents such as these before I get the chroming done?

Many thanks
David

overrider dent.JPG

Thanks Richard, I guess I could. I was hoping for some cunning way of doing that without surgery. How's your side of the Gareloch? :)

23 minutes ago, Dic Doretti said:

Tricky. I would cut off the bracket, knock out the dent and carefully weld the bracket back in place. Before re-chroming

Cheers Richard

Could you not make a dog leg dolly from a substantial steel rod. Support the over rider on a hard wood block.

But the easy way is to let your metal Refinisher (plating shop) do it.

Roger

Suspect the metal will be too thick to respond to an indirect dolly, depending on access around the bracket.

Just as wet on this side of the Gareloch but not as windy as your neck of the woods. Doretti on the rotisserie but working on the Citroen at the moment.

Cheers Richard

9 minutes ago, qkingston said:

All the places I've tried wanted any repairs done before they would do the re-chroming, any recommendations? 

My one down here may be too far away.

New ones from Moss are about £50

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Grind back the centre of the dent back to the metal and then weld a washer to the centre of the dent on its edge, bolt the overrider down to something substantial and then use a slide hammer with a hook on the end to pull the dent out by hooking into the washer, then grind off and dress smooth.

Stuart.

I think you might struggle getting that out properly.

The overriders are 16 or 17swg steel so are pretty tough especially in that ‘egg’ shape, so might need some effort and luck to pull it out properly . Might be easier to look for another overrider David?

Kevin

23 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

I think you might struggle getting that out properly.

The overriders are 16 or 17swg steel so are pretty tough especially in that ‘egg’ shape, so might need some effort and luck to pull it out properly . Might be easier to look for another overrider David?

Kevin

Nothing that a bit of heat wouldnt cure ;)

Stuart.

36 minutes ago, qkingston said:

Thanks Stuart, I'll give that a go, sounds like you've done that before!

David

Standard dent repair when you cant get behind

Stuart.