I have just removed the interior trim and vynil painted them whilst the seats are out I noticed how faded the carpets where but otherwise in good condition . My question is has anyone attempted to dye there carpets by the way my carpets are beige (tan) 

• 1 month later...

I have dyed the carpets of my '81 DHC, also whilst the seats were out. I used RIT Navy Blue dye, bought on e-bay,. I you need any advice / photo's, then pm me and I'll send them on to you. One point, as the carpets are likely to have ground-in dirt, they need to be very thoroughly brushed and vacuumed, followed by a heavy wash using a pressure washer; the amount of muck removed was startling. Then dried thoroughly, I used a wet & dry vac and left them over the line to dry in the sun. The dye was mixed and applied using a brush and sponge (don't forget some rubber gloves) to make sure that the dye penetrated to the base of the fibres. The results were quite pleasing as per the photo.

Emrys

20200523_123205.JPG

20200517_132344.JPG

20200518_110544.JPG

The second picture would have been very helpful when I was fitting moulded  TST carpets to my 7 last year as it show exactly how they were originally fitted.

Cheers

Howard

Thanks Emrys I have now spray painted all the tan vynil parts in the car and am very pleased with the results after taking out the centre console the carpet underneath was a dark brown not tan as I previously mentioned unsure about dying the carpets I replaced all the interior and purchased ( cheating ) a set of mid range Coverdale over fit carpets which I am also v pleased with it only now leaves the sill part of the carpets showing so next winter probably out with the interior again and dye them . What brand of dye did you use ?