Morris oils Golden Film 20/50 at bargain price !

Have been using this for years in my classics and found it to be excellent oil, however my local supplier has ceased to stock it. I went online and found it for £27 per 5 litre at several places inc direct from Morris oils. I then came across this;

.ebay.co.uk/itm/303929453706

£20.50 each or 3 or more for  £17.63

So I ordered four (free delivery), which should be plenty for this year and next.

Just thought I would pass on this bargain to the rest of you.

Ralph

On 3/25/2021 at 9:28 PM, markaluge said:

I found a matching price at the following link https://www.classic-oils.net/Morris-Golden-Film-20W-50?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxfSR16zM7wIVWQOLCh1F3A5sEAAYASAAEgL2X_D_BwE

What oils do people recommend for the gearbox and rear differential?

I used this in my overdrive gearbox. Designed for older gearboxes and contains no extreme pressure additives. For the back axle I used an EP90.

Ralph

20210327_091234.jpg

On 3/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

I used this in my overdrive gearbox. Designed for older gearboxes and contains no extreme pressure additives. For the back axle I used an EP90.

Ralph

20210327_091234.jpg

Having said that, I am starting to wonder if that was the correct oil to use. The workshop manual says engine oil for the gearbox, and mine is reluctant to go into second until thoroughly warmed up, so maybe the 90 weight oil is not letting the synchro rings do their job. May well drain it and try engine oil.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

do not use 'engine oil' as such it may contain detergents etc.  Perhaps use a 20/50 type oil - this apprx 40 weight oil. So why not use a gear oil

such as Penrite GB40  - this is what it is made for,

oger

21 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ralph,

do not use 'engine oil' as such it may contain detergents etc.  Perhaps use a 20/50 type oil - this apprx 40 weight oil. So why not use a gear oil

such as Penrite GB40  - this is what it is made for,

oger

Thanks Roger, yes I think 90 is too thick when cold, although OK when warm. Haynes manual lube chart says GTX for gearbox, same as engine, that is of course a 20/50. I will have a look for some Penrite GB40.

Ralph

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Thanks Roger, yes I think 90 is too thick when cold, although OK when warm. Haynes manual lube chart says GTX for gearbox, same as engine, that is of course a 20/50. I will have a look for some Penrite GB40.

Ralph

In Australia many of us use Castrol VMX80 for the box. It is excellent.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 9:18 AM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

20210327_091234.jpg

After being advised to use Penrite GB40 I looked for it with the intention of changing the gearbox oil this weekend. 

I am now confused, Penrite themselves say that GB40 is a 20/70 multigrade oil designed to replace straight 40 and 20/50 oil.

One of their suppliers goes further and states that this is roughly equivalent in viscosity to 90 weight gear oil.

So, would I be wasting my time and money changing the Golden Film AG90 I already have.

Ralph

image.png.a9153dca1da2a4280d07e0d72c4dc00a.png

That is a bit confusing I agree. 

but I would go with what you have and not worry. 

I think the important thing is the no additives for gearboxes and OD

Just had a 'box for my TR2 with an A type OD fully rebuilt by Pete Cox and his son Tom.

I'm certain there are plently of suitable oils out there but Pete recommended the Penrite GB30 / GB40 products so thats what I've gone with.

Bob

43 minutes ago, OldBob said:

Just had a 'box for my TR2 with an A type OD fully rebuilt by Pete Cox and his son Tom.

I'm certain there are plently of suitable oils out there but Pete recommended the Penrite GB30 / GB40 products so thats what I've gone with.

Bob

+1