Throttle Body Casting Numbers

Hi all,

Sad I know but I've been having an email exchange this evening with Michael in America regarding the DD numbers on CP throttle bodies. We are agreed that the ones with no DD numbers are the early TR5 ones, and DD1's are earlier than DD2's,3's,4's,etc. But where do the 1DD's fit in? To me the style of the numbers, the part number being on the top indicates they are early on and not after the DD5, which he believes is the case. I have attached some pictures of the ones I have on the shelf and Michaels DD1's. Has this been discussed before? Is there any record of such things?? Should I be worrying about more important things???

Martin

00DD topside.jpeg

1DD topside.jpeg

DD1 topside.jpeg

DD2 topside.jpeg

DD4 topside.jpeg

Hi Martin,

I can't help you with your query and I apologise for the slight thread drift.

I've often wondered what Lucas/Standard Triumph had in mind for the throttle bodies, I'm referring to the two circular castings perpendicular to the balance tube on each throttle body, directly inline with the injector socket.

I don't think those are there by accident, more an abandoned idea by the designer?

Richard.

Hi Richard, I think what are referring to is where the idle air drilling’s are made that transfer air into the inlets. They were drilled and then sealed - aluminium welded?

3 hours ago, John L said:

Martin

My 3 throttle bodies are all DD1, and I don't have the front air screw fitted, these are all still original, engine # 2492. Does this help?

John

Hi John, thanks for your info. DD1 are early and TR5. I am just trying to work out the chronological order with respect to the 1DD throttle bodies. We’re they between DD1 and DD2 or at the end of the DD# series?

If it helps all of the manifolds on my 1971 TR6, CP54529-O are 1DD.  These don't have the hole drilled for the idle screw fitting used on the TR5, which of course didn't have the air valve which was fitted to the TR6. I do have another spare set of 1DD which do have the drillings for the screws and I have attached an image of one of those.  I also have images of most of the other manifolds with numbers DD1 through to DD6 some of which have the idle screw drilling and some of which don't so if I was a betting man my feeling is that the different DD numbers are just to do with the different casting moulds used rather than being in a chronological order. This would appear to be borne out by looking at the images of the different numbered manifolds which all look identical all other than the number.

The early unnumbered TR5 ones are of course a distinctly different casting.   

Derek

1 DD.JPG

my feeling is that the different DD numbers are just to do with the different casting moulds used

I agree with you there Derek as several moulds, possibly from different suppliers, would be used and should an issue develop either in manufacture, assembly or use, the errant mould could be identified and taken out of service/repaired. If need be a product recall could go out if the issue warranted such action. The forerunner of today's "quality control" (in theory!).

Regards

Bill 

10 hours ago, saffrontr said:

If it helps all of the manifolds on my 1971 TR6, CP54529-O are 1DD.  These don't have the hole drilled for the idle screw fitting used on the TR5, which of course didn't have the air valve which was fitted to the TR6. I do have another spare set of 1DD which do have the drillings for the screws and I have attached an image of one of those.  I also have images of most of the other manifolds with numbers DD1 through to DD6 some of which have the idle screw drilling and some of which don't so if I was a betting man my feeling is that the different DD numbers are just to do with the different casting moulds used rather than being in a chronological order. This would appear to be borne out by looking at the images of the different numbered manifolds which all look identical all other than the number.

The early unnumbered TR5 ones are of course a distinctly different casting.   

Derek

1 DD.JPG

Hi Derek. Thanks for that. Are your 1DD’s original to your car? If you look closely at the DD1’s, you can see that there is reinforcing only on one side where the balance pipe enters the casting, so the ones with no numbers and DD1’s are definitely early. The numbering on the 1DD’s is almost identical to the DD1’s, which suggests they may have been made by same company or at similar time. I was just wondering if anyone knew for sure!
kind regards 

martin

Hi Martin,

I've had the car since 1978 and as far as I know they are original other than one of them that I had to replace as I damaged it by overtightening of the injector clamp. I have just looked at that one which is also a 1DD and it has a date stamped on it of the 15 Jun, it also has the drilling for the slow running screw. As to what year that implies is anyone's guess

kind regards

Derek  

manifold with date stamp.jpg

21 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Hi Martin,

I've had the car since 1978 and as far as I know they are original other than one of them that I had to replace as I damaged it by overtightening of the injector clamp. I have just looked at that one which is also a 1DD and it has a date stamped on it of the 15 Jun, it also has the drilling for the slow running screw. As to what year that implies is anyone's guess

kind regards

Derek  

manifold with date stamp.jpg

Thanks Derek. 

On 3/25/2021 at 3:14 PM, John L said:

Martin

My 3 throttle bodies are all DD1, and I don't have the front air screw fitted, these are all still original, engine # 2492. Does this help?

John

Hi John, thanks for that. There appears to be two versions of the DD1’s we have seen so far. One has no reinforcement around the air balance tube and the other only has one reinforced. What have you got?

16 hours ago, John L said:

Martin

Mine do have the reinforcement around all the air balance tubes.

Also noted is the number 1 is in front of the letters DD.

My build date was 23 May 1968.

John

Hi John, the 1DD’s are different to the DD1’s. They are later but still appear to have been early enough to be fitted to TR5’s.  The order appears to be: the throttle bodies with no DD numbers, DD1 with no reinforcing, DD1 with reinforcing around one air balance pipe and then 1DD. All of these developments appear to have been made whilst the TR5 was being produced. Then DD2, DD3 etc for CP TR6. Then the CR throttle bodies started using DD1 again. Not sure if the DD numbers are meant to be chronological or denote differs moulds or suppliers but they were made at different times. When I am reconditioning throttle bodies I try to supply matched sets. It would also be good to provide the correct types for 5’s and 6’s whilst I’m at it.

Thanks for your help

Martin Giles

Fred Millturn Parts